MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cachemate, learning how to use
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grey Wolf and Wild Rice
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Cachemate, learning how to use Reply with quote

accordiongal wrote:
Hello fellow cachers. I am looking for somebody around Rochester area that can help clarify the mysteries of Cachemate. It's installed onto iPAQ, how do I get the information from GSAK to iPAK. My learning preference is face to face, I am such a verbal learner. Thanks

The simplest way still is to just use GSAK and forget Cachmate (and/or Plucker) to put cache pages on an iPAQ. The iPAQ model you have is the same one I use.

Just export the cache pages of interest as HTML files, sync your iPAQ and open with Internet Explorer.

That's the entire process.
accordiongal
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grey Wolf,
How many pages can be stored on the iPAQ?

What would be the advantage of a memory card? I don't need to store 15,000 caches. What would a card cost, where would a person obtain one?

THis is hard being a newbie at going paperless.
Grey Wolf and Wild Rice
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With no memory card in the PDA, you can store quite a few. Maybe 1000?

The best number is however many you want in your GPS. I usually store less than 200 at a time, since my Magellan has a limit on the number of caches that transfer completely with GSAK. Easliy a week's worth of caching unless you are getting "number ho".
accordiongal
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grey Wolf,
How does a person search thru the html pages?
RubberToes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a pretty good step-by-step tutorial for GSAK/Cachemate: Paperless Caching. I believe it's what I used to get started.
Pez Tonto
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering how your adventures with the iPAQ went as I am considering a purchase to replace my ancient HandSpring. Any impressions or thoughts?
Grey Wolf and Wild Rice
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 minute phone call and all went well.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried out GSAK's exported html files, since I just got a new phone and can't get cachemate to work. Very nice! Not only does it have a nice familiar presentation of the info, including images and all logs, but it has some handy links to nearby caches and to the current page on geocaching.com. I may switch to this even if I get cachemate working. It's a big improvement.

Cachemate has lost its entire database twice on me now.. Once, it was on a trip, where I really might have needed it.. Fortunately I was basically done caching for the trip..

I'll miss the ability to easily mark which caches I visited, though. I guess I could make paper notes or use voice recording. Hmm.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, we have had some time since we last discussed this, and since that time I have spent some time getting to know GSAK and Cachemate (both of which I have purchased).

I am thinking about putting on a Paperless Caching event, where we can discuss these two products (and any other ones that anyone wants to present on). I'm wondering
A) Are people still interested in attending if we put one on?
Z) Will Woodbury be an ok place to do it? - If not, where.

I'm suggesting the Woodbury library as it has nice facilities and is fairly easy to get to.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fireman121
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would still be game for this event.
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thought of doing an event like this before, but never found a good place to do it at. Not to mention having enough computers at said location for demonstrations. Still, I'd be interested in attending or helping out for it.
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
Ok, we have had some time since we last discussed this, and since that time I have spent some time getting to know GSAK and Cachemate (both of which I have purchased).

I am thinking about putting on a Paperless Caching event, where we can discuss these two products (and any other ones that anyone wants to present on). I'm wondering

I'm suggesting the Woodbury library as it has nice facilities and is fairly easy to get to.

I'm game - let me know if you need any help as well.
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:

as long as you give me enough warning and I don't get distracted by something like fest again, I can help with something like this. Plus I've got a laptop that can be used for examples if needed.

Celticwulf
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked with the Washing Co. Library in Woodbury and they have a room we can use, but they don't have a projector we can plug into; does anyone here have access to a projector we could use for the purposes of exploring these software packages in a group setting?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: