MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JUNE 2006 COTM -- VOTE HERE

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which cache should be the June 2006 Cache of the Month?
Chaska: Walking Tour by Jonas and Julia
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
The Tortoise And The Hare by knowschad
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
Garden Challenge by cloudwalkers
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
Ely's Peak by EskoClimber
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
KAWASACHONG FALLS by eagleyes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Weir by Toivo Two Feathers
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 9

Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: JUNE 2006 COTM -- VOTE HERE Reply with quote

Thanks to all who turned in submissions this month. This is either a record or near-record month! These are in no particular order:

Chaska: Walking Tour by Jonas and Julia
Nominated by CamoCacher

This cache has it all wrapped in one. A hike for those who wish it to be, was approx 2 mile walk or you have the option of driving to each intermdiate location. There is a chance to learn about and view the local history of a small MN town while excercising the mind with some math and conversions. The final is a buetiful spot. A refreshing cache, easy enough to do with the kids, a dog, by yourself or in a group. Stop by some of the local shops for food, refreshments, or jewels from this little town.

The Tortoise And The Hare by knowschad
Nominated by Posen

Just South of downtown St. Paul, in a picturesque little park, there's a nice little hiking trail that goes through the woods. As I searched methodically for the cache, I watched the cars zip by on the nearby highway, and realized I was the Tortoise, and they were the Hare. The cache was well-hidden, and the cache owner went the extra mile to have some fun with the cache. And I'm a strong supporter of caching can be fun! Great park, great path, great cache...great fun! This one's a winner!

Garden Challenge by cloudwalkers
Nominated by Jonas (of Jonas and Julia)

I think of this cache as a perfect example of whats great about geocaching and it easily is one of the top caches I have ever completed. It features puzzle challenges, a good hike and beautiful scenery. That this cache was created in spring of 2002 and is still actively maintained also demonstrates that it is of top quality.

This cache is well worth the drive to St. Cloud from the Twin Cities. We highly encourage everyone to make the trip.

Ely's Peak by EskoClimber
Nominated by laker2

I would like to nominate Ely's Peak (GCQBG1) as cache of the month. It has everything that one would want in a cache. There is a physical challenge but not of a dangerous nature. There is a mental challenge both to get started and to locate one of the intermediate waypoints. To do this cache one follows the Lake Superior Hiking trail through some of the most spectacular areas around Duluth. The views are fantastic. Along this trail there is much in the way of wildlife (deer, bear, skunks, porcupines, birds) and wildflowers (trilliums, marsh marigolds, bunch berry, star flowers, lady slippers). This is a cache that will probably take at least three hours after the puzzle is solved. By a considerable extent, it ranks way up there among "my most favorite caches".
Finally, and this is important, the owner (EskoClimber) has designed this cache with great attention to detail and design. It is a model for all of us. For people coming to Duluth who would like to do a cache typical of our area, this is the ONE!!.

KAWASACHONG FALLS by eagleyes
Nominated by EskoClimber

The rain swelled river cascading over the falls is magnificient. This is a sight that needs to be seen by one and all. The water pouring through the channel formed by rock faces 30 feet high to capacity is a true wonder.

I wish I had the talent to describe the Kawasachong Falls in full flow. We all talk about "nice view" or "great spot", this is only the second cache that I've seen that truly qualifies as a scenic wonder.

Weir by Toivo Two Feathers
Nominated by AerosmithPA

This cache has a lot of different features to offer. The nearly three mile hike begins just off of a busy highway in your basic mine dump. It then passes a tailing pond which is the epitome of how one envisions the surface of Mars. The crescendo of scenery is established in the final half of the hike, which features overlooks of a secluded lake and finishes up lakeside in the wooded forestland of northern Minnesota.

Cachers whose goal is purely numbers of finds only will never find this cache. Cachers who appreciate the scenery nature offers may.

I wasn't sure of what was in store for me once my gps zeroed out at this cache. I was very pleasantly surprised at finding a place of solitude in which I never would have known existed if it were not for geocaching.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: