MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Doing a search for caches.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Doing a search for caches. Reply with quote

I have a question that maybe someone can help me out with. I used to be able to look for caches from my own profile out 100 mile in radius. For some reason the last couple of days it is only letting me look out up to 50 miles. I have not adjusted any of my settings for about two years, but yet I can't look beyond 50 miles from my home waypoint. If I put the zip code in then it will go out the 100 miles. Using my house as a waypoint it is only letting me go out the 50 miles.

Can anyone tell me what's going on here?
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add (without the quotes) "&dist=100" to the end of the URL to get the full 100 miles.

For example:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?lat=45.999&lon=-92.000&f=1&dist=100

Personally I have my nearest caches as a bookmark so it would be easy to add that to the link in the bookmark (rather than doing it by hand each time). I don't need to normally see beyond 50 miles however so I don't see the purpose in doing it personally, but some may want to.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't need to normally see beyond 50 miles however so I don't see the purpose in doing it personally, but some may want to.

I have found everything within 50 miles of me except for a new one which I plan to find tonight and a couple of others that are temporarily archived for some reason or another. You keep forgetting that I live way out on the west end of the state. I don't live in the cache dense metro area.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loneeagle_24 wrote:
Quote:
I don't need to normally see beyond 50 miles however so I don't see the purpose in doing it personally, but some may want to.

I have found everything within 50 miles of me except for a new one which I plan to find tonight and a couple of others that are temporarily archived for some reason or another. You keep forgetting that I live way out on the west end of the state. I don't live in the cache dense metro area.

I don't live in the metro either. I don't forget that you don't live in a cache dense area... My statement wasn't to say that you don't have any reason not to use a view beyond 50 miles, it was simply to say that I don't need it. I think you read into what I said too much. Confused
Surfer Joe
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Doing a search for caches. Reply with quote

loneeagle_24 wrote:
I used to be able to look for caches from my own profile out 100 mile in radius. For some reason the last couple of days it is only letting me look out up to 50 miles. I have not adjusted any of my settings for about two years, but yet I can't look beyond 50 miles from my home waypoint.

Geocaching.com reduced the default search radius from 100 miles to 50 in hopes it would reduce some of the overload slow-downs the site experiences.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Geocaching.com reduced the default search radius from 100 miles to 50 in hopes it would reduce some of the overload slow-downs the site experiences.

And I thought it was something I had inadvertantly done. Wink Tell them that it s**** for cachers like me who used that quite frequently for searching for caches. Now the only way for me to do it is to go to the main search page and put in a zip code & set the distance there to be able to look. Looks like I can't do this anymore from my home waypoint. Mad
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loneeagle_24 wrote:
Quote:

And I thought it was something I had inadvertantly done. Wink Tell them that it s**** for cachers like me who used that quite frequently for searching for caches. Now the only way for me to do it is to go to the main search page and put in a zip code & set the distance there to be able to look. Looks like I can't do this anymore from my home waypoint. Mad

I agree it is a stupid change and being a web developer I don't see how it will lighten the load on the site. But I'd just create a bookmark in your browser with the "&dist=100" in it.
Like this: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?lat=44.8944&lon=-93.4033&dist=100
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loneeagle_24 wrote:

I'm curious if you read my first reply in this thread to you? It specifically addressed how to make it work without doing a zip code search. GeoPierce outlined the same thing again just above this posting.
onionpond
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My list shows 17 unfound Caches within 50 miles of my home. Of these 6 are unavailable, 1 is the April Breakfast Buddies. That leaves 10 left, maybe they could compile a list omitting the unavailable ones. If I'm looking for a list, I sure don't want a list of Caches I can't do.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onionpond wrote:
My list shows 17 unfound Caches within 50 miles of my home. Of these 6 are unavailable, 1 is the April Breakfast Buddies. That leaves 10 left, maybe they could compile a list omitting the unavailable ones. If I'm looking for a list, I sure don't want a list of Caches I can't do.

You could do a pocket query for the caches you want to see, and then bookmark the "preview" link to the left of the query. Then you just click on that bookmark to get a list of caches that match that query.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: