MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FINDING OLD FENCE LINES

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MN Lost Boy
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:22 am    Post subject: FINDING OLD FENCE LINES Reply with quote

I am trying to find my property line with a GPS.
I have a few corners a mile away in both directions.
Can I waymark them and then go to my approximate fence line and walk until I get a bearing say "DUE SOUTH".
I assume it would be about 10 - 20 feet accurate????

Lost Boy

When I found the skull in the woods, the first thing I did was call the police. But then I got curious about it. I picked it up, and started wondering who this person was, and why he had deer horns.
LanceVE
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your property lines are N/S, E/W you might be better off doing it based on the Lat/Lon numbers instead...

10 feet over a 1 mile distance is an error of 0.1 degrees in the bearing....

A 1 degree error in bearing at 1 mile away would put you about 95 feet off...

You might be able to use the "Project Waypoint" feature found in most GPS's to drop a few waypoints along the line for closer reference, using a waypoint at one of the corners and the bearing between them (assuming that that is a 'nice' number that you can enter all the decimal places of)
kleiner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have known (on the ground) endpoints of the line and set those as waypoints, you could be pretty close when you place points on that line. However, to project a line on a bearing, when you don't know what grid system the bearing is on is going to give you a poor result at best.

In the survey world it is rare to find any lines a mile long that are perfectly straight. There is almost always a bend of some kind at the section corners and the quarter corners in all the exterior lines of a section. Quarterlines, by definition will be straight from quarter corner to quarter corner, and those are approx. in the mile range. These line are on the interior of the section. JK
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: