MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gold Digger

View previous topic :: View next topic  
onionpond
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Gold Digger Reply with quote

So I was thinking of buying a Metal Detector, to bring along on some of my Geocache hikes. Does anybody have experience with one? Any advice would be accepted with a smile. Thanks in advance.
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have contemplated getting ahold of one to find Lair of the Three Headed Woman... but I can't justify the expense quite yet.
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucidOndine wrote:
I have contemplated getting ahold of one to find Lair of the Three Headed Woman... but I can't justify the expense quite yet.

Good idea! Maybe you could rent one somewhere?
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After seeing one in action used to find a cache, I've been very interested in aquiring one myself. Call it cheating if you want, I call it a creative solution to a problem.
onionpond
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC0GRN wrote:
After seeing one in action used to find a cache, I've been very interested in aquiring one myself. Call it cheating if you want, I call it a creative solution to a problem.

I guess I'm not as interested in using it to find a Cache, as I am at seeing what I can find on the hike in/out. Most of the Caches in my area are in the back woods and forests of this great state. One never knows what you might find.
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC0GRN wrote:

Strap your GPS to the handle and it could used in high muggle areas to cover up your real purpose! As long as you're not walking down the sidewalk. Smile
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoPierce wrote:
KC0GRN wrote:

Strap your GPS to the handle and it could used in high muggle areas to cover up your real purpose! As long as you're not walking down the sidewalk. Smile

Hey...I think it would be amusing to be wandering around looking for a walmart cache with the metal detector and a pickaxe Twisted Evil

Celticwulf
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucidOndine wrote:

Not a bad Idea...or you could wait until the July thaw
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitch wrote:
LucidOndine wrote:

Not a bad Idea...or you could wait until the July thaw

According to Lucid and celticwulf, it is all thawed out.
GPSr
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been to a couple caches where I thought this may be easier if I had a metal detector. Then I remembered the small wand type like they use at the airport. Compact, lightweight, easy to carry with down the trail. Nah, then I'd have to get a man-purse to keep it in. Embarassed
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just need to bring along the patented ACRS (aka Arcticabn Cache Retrieval System)

It's low cost, usually free or $1 (the cost of a single beer at Applebee's after 9pm!), it drives itself and it finds caches that are made of plastic too!

That's what I use to bolster my stats. You should try it too -- when I'm not using it heh.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought my full sized metal detector a couple of years ago it came with a free wand type metal detector. I was cleaning out my old truck and located the smaller one in amongst all of the junk. I haven't used it in about a year. It still had the battery in it. I turned it on just to see if it would work. It turned on and is in working condition. I may just have to start carrying it with me. At least put it in the vehicle anyway. That way if I need to use it it will be there. It isn't very heavy. The only bad thing about mine is that it uses a 9 volt battery. I don't normally carry those with me. Maybe I'll have to start carrying one with. Something more to put in my cache bag.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: