MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buying 5 -10 GPS's. Which to buy? Please help.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheGilby4
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Buying 5 -10 GPS's. Which to buy? Please help. Reply with quote

A friend of mine is going to buy about 5 -10 units to be used by newbies. Doesn't want to spend a ton, and wants them to be user friendly/readable for both children (6 & up) and adults. No frills needed, just caching. Ease of loading caches/gpx files onto 5 -10 units is an issue to consider. Also wants to keep them all the same make and model.

Any suggestions will be helpful? If you know of any good deals or prices and retailer information/websites would be helpful as well. Thanks.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Buying 5 -10 GPS's. Which to buy? Please help. Reply with quote

TheGilby4 wrote:
A friend of mine is going to buy about 5 -10 units to be used by newbies. Doesn't want to spend a ton, and wants them to be user friendly/readable for both children (6 & up) and adults. No frills needed, just caching. Ease of loading caches/gpx files onto 5 -10 units is an issue to consider. Also wants to keep them all the same make and model.

Any suggestions will be helpful? If you know of any good deals or prices and retailer information/websites would be helpful as well. Thanks.

I'd recommend the garmin yellow etrex H (Part Number: 010-00631-00). They are cheap and good units. This model also has a high sensitivity receiver.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How quick are they looking to buy? And are they any sort of non-profit, scouting etc?? I can check with my "in" at Garmin to see if there is someone there that can help with that kind of purchase... Shoot me specifics on fb if you want and I can try to nail it down while you're cross country MOGA'ing it!
fireman121
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was flipping through the Cabela’s flyer that I got in the mail today and they have the yellow Garmin etrex on sale for $79 bucks.
RonGerth
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. I did the whole start cheap just to get going deal and then got to the point pretty quickly where I said things like "I wish ............" and my wishes got more and more. I think that I would start off with the Garmin Etrex Legend HCx. it is more than the yellow one but with things like the color screen and sd card I think you will be happier in the long run. Sure, they are more expensive, but if it was me instead of buying 10 of them that are low end I would buy 5 of the midrange ones (Legend HCx) and share them. You are gonna want to go there soon anyhow so rather than throw away the intro money spend alittle more and get a good solid unit that you have room to grow into that has the bells and whistles that more people really like.

RonGerth
fireman121
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think his intention is not for himself, but looking for a group or some thing like that. We all cant start off with a Colorado I know I did'nt.
TheGilby4
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fireman121 wrote:
I think his intention is not for himself, but looking for a group or some thing like that. We all cant start off with a Colorado I know I did'nt.

Correct. These will be used by "one timers", meaning these units will be used by newbies one time for a couple of hours an and then returned back to the owner. They will not know any better between a Colorado or an Etrex Yellow. My question is more along the lines of... If you were to give Brand X to a newbie for a couple of hours, all things considered (price, user friendly, reception,...) which units should my friend buy if he is going to have to buy 5-10 of them?
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious to hear the outcome because I know someone with a similar plan. To add to the discussion, before I was gifted with my beautiful Oregon, I used the yellow eTrex and while it worked great for finding a cache, there was a pretty good learning curve for using the buttons and entering the cache coords. Something that can electronically receive the coordinates would be great for a newbie inexperienced with using a receiver who just wants to experience getting out and caching.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: