MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Nuvi?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNMizzou wrote:
I'd look at the more economical route, just buy the City Navigator DVD and a 2gb card for your Oregon. From there you can load all of the City Nav data onto the microsd card and you have a unit that gives you turn by turn directions. The big difference, the unit will just beep at you and not call out street names. It beeps once when you are getting close to a turn, twice when you should turn. I use it with my Oregon 400T to get all over the City with no problem. Actually region really, it got me all over Fargo when I was sent up there for the flooding with no problems at all. I've actually had a couple reporters with me who comment how they like the small beeps vs. the voice too, I think that's mostly personal preference. I've noticed the GPS units, no matter which one it is, may not necessarily know the fastest route out there, or every single road, but for the most part it will get you very very close to where you need to go, and I've had no problems with my Oregon getting me there. I believe, but don't know 100% that essentially the map data between the DVD and what is pre-loaded onto a Nuvi is exactly the same thing.

Yeah, I know what you are saying. I am actually looking at doing both. I am looking for a specific feature on the Nuvi though and that is why I am asking. I do not like driving in the cities (thus why I have three GPSr's already) and like the lane assist on this. I think that this would help a lot more with my confidence in the cities. I have had panic attacks from driving down there for work, and so the lane assist will tell me which lane to be in (which is where I think I get really nervous).

So, I figured that to honor my 500th, 600th and 700th finds last month and also my birthday coming up in a couple days that I would get myself a present. Very Happy I drove around with my cousins Nuvi in Vegas and really liked that, and then also we had one in the vehicle for MOGA.
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam3s wrote:
I am trying to decide if I want the MSN Direct thing. Living in Saint Cloud, I am not sure that it is worth it since it is for larger areas. However, it does come with the FM Transmitter power cord which is nice.

I love the MSN Direct! My free trial just expired and I have to renew but it really has saved me from sitting in traffic jams. The ability to send POI's from your computer at home to the GPS in the vehicle is nice as well.
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minnesotabrad wrote:
I love the MSN Direct! My free trial just expired and I have to renew but it really has saved me from sitting in traffic jams. The ability to send POI's from your computer at home to the GPS in the vehicle is nice as well.

They have something that I have seen for a lifetime MSN Direct subscription for $130 I think. I do not think that it that bad. I was looking at getting that.
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam3s wrote:
minnesotabrad wrote:

They have something that I have seen for a lifetime MSN Direct subscription for $130 I think. I do not think that it that bad. I was looking at getting that.

That is what I will be renewing to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: