MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MN DNR Wildlife Management Areas

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: MN DNR Wildlife Management Areas Reply with quote

Has anyone approached the DNR about placing caches on Wildlife Management Areas?

It seems that Geocaching would be acceptable within the areas:

Quote:
b. Other outdoor recreational activities may be allowed, when:
i. They are compatible with an area's resources and their management.
ii. They are related to the area's natural resources, and
iii. Users' enjoyment and appreciation of natural resources is enhanced by the natural setting.

There are naturally a lot more to the rules than that small paragraph (found on pg 15 of the rules, which are here).

I'm curious if

A. Anyone has approached them (the MNDNR) on this subject
B. If anyone knows a good contact person to start with

I would think one should approach them before they find caches on the land - does that seem correct?

Thanks for any feedback!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here I go, getting in trouble again:

I always take the broadest view possible. Search google for *geocaching* and *Minnesota State Parks* and you get this link:

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/index.html

Quote:
Geocaching prohibited in the Minnesota State Parks

Due to concerns related to natural resource protection, visitor safety, staff workloads and liability, geocaches are not permitted on lands administered by the Minnesota State Park System (my emphasis). Any geocaches found will be considered abandoned property.

Search google for *Minnesota State Park System* and you get this link:

http://www.lcmr.leg.mn/Parks%20Study%20Comm/state%20park%20summ.pdf

Quote:
MINNESOTA STATE PARK SYSTEM

The Minnesota State Park system includes 66 state parks and 6 recreation
areas, 8 waysides, 1 state trail, and 54 state forest campgrounds and day use areas. The Parks and Recreation Division of the Department of Natural
Resources (DNR) is responsible for planning, developing, operating, and
maintaining Minnesota's state park system.

Now, I don't see where the *Minnesota State Park System* administers W.M.A.'s and consequently, geocaching must be allowed there. IMHO
tomslusher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I see it is the DNR has gone out of it's way to contact owners and/or remove geocaches in state parks but hasn't said anything about any other state property such as WMA or wayside rests. I take that to mean they aren't concerned with them in those area.

Some times it is best to leave sleeping dogs lie, because when you kick them, they usually bite.

tomslusher
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are some of the answers I guess I was hoping for...

I'm curious now how the folks in the Twin Cities area started getting policies made for the area parks... Was this a case of the parks making policies, or the cachers coming to the park admins looking for a policy?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
I'm curious now how the folks in the Twin Cities area started getting policies made for the area parks... Was this a case of the parks making policies, or the cachers coming to the park admins looking for a policy?

It was largely a reaction on our part to the DNR being against us. We all began to contact the DNR and our local city and county park systems. The cities don't seem to care and the counties that care have been very helpful. Once Ramsey county came on board their parks administrator began spreading the word in a very positive manner to other park systems.

Some admins have come to us and others were contacted by geocachers first. By now they have all heard about it. What we can do as individuals and as an organization is to continue painting the sport in a positive light and offering to help park administrators to see how eco- and park friendly this sport can be when mutually-beneficial rules are put in place.

And it's not just metro people who have gotten geocache-friendly policies on the books - eagleyes contacted the Superior National Forest and did all the work with them.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been in contact with the local DNR offices (Willmar area), after one of my caches was removed by one of their officers. As of right now they have been instructed to pull all caches that are in Wildlife production areas. Not sure how many cachers this applies too, but I am letting you know.

They got a letter about a month ago on the issue with these, and they were told to pull any they see in these areas. The issue that they have with these in production areas is that we might be disturbing nesting birds and such.

I also talked to the Forestry officer in the Willmar office. As of now they do not have any policy on caches in State forestry areas yet. He was going to let me know if this does change.

It looks like I will be going and retrieving a few of my caches this weekend.

I plan on however continuing discussions with them on what we could do to possibly be allowed to place caches in these areas in the future.

I am still trying to track down the container that the cache was in. Nobody at the office seemed to know who had it. I wouldn't worry so much except that it is a ammo can.

Those that have caches in these areas may want to go and retrieve them sometime soon.

Sorry to give everyone the bad news.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
they were told to pull any they see in these areas

I thought they were short on resources, or whatever. Seems like an incredible waste of taxpayers' money sending employees out. The last I checked, and I check everyday, e-mail is free.

If they have access to the location of the cache, I'd assume that they would have access to a large percentage of the cache owners. I hereby PROTEST the insane, knee-jerk reaction.
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really is time to bypass the PHB's, and start lobbying the governor directly.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickrich wrote:
It really is time to bypass the PHB's, and start lobbying the governor directly.

I can only guess what a PHB is (and I've got some good guesses).

I'm all for getting a conversation started with the higher-ups... It seems best if it were an organized approach.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
I can only guess what a PHB is (and I've got some good guesses).

It's a "pointy haired boss" which is a character from the Dilbert cartoons.
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickrich wrote:
start lobbying the governor directly.

Ah! The ultimate PHB!
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have though about lobbying before.
It seems unfair that a new "sport" is
being regulated so harshly. If they
start banning geocaching in parks, then
I don't want to EVER walk through a
park and see a whole flippin' Disk
Golf Course and all the junk that goes
along with that! (not opposing disk golf,
just making a point...)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: