MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Holding onto travel bugs

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is the longest period of time that you've held a travel bug?
a week
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
2-3 weeks
32%
 32%  [ 13 ]
a month
25%
 25%  [ 10 ]
2-3 months
20%
 20%  [ 8 ]
4-11 months
15%
 15%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 40

King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:42 am    Post subject: Holding onto travel bugs Reply with quote

How long is too long?
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently held onto a bug for a couple of months because it had been bouncing around the twin cities for quite a while and I knew I had an opportunity to take it out west. I posted a note on the bug's page explaining why I was holding it and the owner gave me his approval.

I typically try to move a bug on within a week or two of grabbing it.
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If every TB had a geo-location device on it, such as the ones in the "Buddy" thread, then TB hunters would be able to pick them up at our houses.

Spouse: "Honey, there's another geocacher in the living room!"

Cacher: "Don't mind me luv, no time for the old **-***, **-***, just came for the TB"

-Rick

Bonus points: what 5 star movie is the "Cacher" quote paraphrased from?
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Clockwork Orange
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to only hold onto them for 2-3 days max, unless I'm helping them with a big goal. For instance, I'm holding two bugs for about 2 weeks, but I'm bringing them closer to their goal in Texas (One going to Alabama, other going to The Alamo).

-Aaron
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

s4xton wrote:
I try to only hold onto them for 2-3 days max, unless I'm helping them with a big goal. For instance, I'm holding two bugs for about 2 weeks, but I'm bringing them closer to their goal in Texas (One going to Alabama, other going to The Alamo).

Yup. Unless I know that I am specifically going to give them a major push towards their goal I try to rid myself of them as quickly as possible. I routinely make trips out East (Ohio - 700 miles and PA - 1000 miles) and love to see bugs get a huge number next to their drop Smile

I'm no where near as efficient as our famous bug mover Arcticabn Wink
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually try to get rid of mine quick, but sometimes they have odd goals. I did hold one for a couple months to bring out to Seattle last time I went, and now I have another one that wants to go out there specifically, and the owner hasn't been active since june. I left a note on the bug's page though that I was headed out there in October, and I'd be happy to help this tbug accomplish it's goal (which is a lot more than I can say for some cachers that have picked up my TBugs lately, I had one wanting to go to Seattle, and somebody picked it up and dropped it in Maine!)
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does a jeep count as a travel bug???

I didn't really try to move it FAST...as I felt nobody had any TIES to it....
mabutter
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure there is a thread for this but I got tired of looking for it so here are my questions....

Do you contact someone who has been holding a TB for a while and ask the status?
If you do make contact, how long do you wait before you do it?
Is it acceptable to make contact regarding a TB that you don't own but were the last mover before a dead pick-up?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mabutter wrote:
Do you contact someone who has been holding a TB for a while and ask the status?

Yeah, I don't think that's a big deal.

Quote:

I usually wait for a month.

Quote:
Is it acceptable to make contact regarding a TB that you don't own but were the last mover before a dead pick-up?

I don't much worry about this myself and I find it a bit irritating when someone else contacts me about it (drat19!) but it's the nature of the beast. Everyone is concerned about their TBs as well as the ones they moved.

Use your best judgement.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usaually go through mine that are 2 + months since a log. If a cacher has it I normally email them and ask what the status of it is. Some get lost or misplaced and the people don't even realize that they were the last to log it. Normally I get some response that "I will get it out soon", or close. Some have actually been lost. and some just never contact you back. Mad

If the bug is in a cache I normally go through the logs on the cache since it was placed. If someone lists that "there are no TB in the cache" that is a good indication that it is gone. Then I normally mark them as lost.
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far the longest I held one was a jeep and a coin, both held for about the same amount of time (2-3 weeks), and both held because I wanted to place them somewhere special, but with the jeep eventually just gave up and moved it along. I always try to keep TB's moving when I can, and I'm now regretting some of my placements of TB's since they're either somewhat trapped (TB hotel with not much activity) or currently not logged out correctly.

In regards to TB's and cache's you own, what do others do about TB's that go missing or are not logged out correctly. I'm about to run down to check my one cache that has had a few TB's through it, but it looks like a White Jeep has gone missing completly, and another bug has been grabbed by someone according to the log but not retrieved from the cache. I've emailed the person about the TB logged but not retireved, but should I check with people that could have taken the jeep without logging or should I just mark it as missing if I go to the cache and it's not there? And what are people's thoughts about checking caches due to "no TB's in cache" reports...do you go and confirm or do you just mark as missing, or none of the above?

Celticwulf
5savages
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mabutter wrote:

I just got a note today from a guy who held my TB for 4 months. At 2 months I asked him about the status and he replied apologizing and saying he'd get it out soon.

At 4 months I asked him again about, very congenially, and asked him if I could send him a self-addressed stamped envelope so he could mail it back to me. I didn't hear from him for 3 days then today I get a message saying his family dropped it off in Florida. Not dropped off as quick as I'd like but I got a good chunk of mileage out of it.

I'd think at 1 month a friendly enquiry would be fine. People get busy and geocaching may not be the most important thing in their life.

I'd never ask about a TB I didnt' own. I might watch an interesting one as it travels, but if it got stuck, it's the owner's place to chase it to down.
jrest
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sent emails to some cachers about bugs of mine they are holding, they apologized, and said they would drop'em pretty soon. One did, couple others still have them. Was going to give it another couple weeks to send another note, and see what happens. I have a particular, local bug on my radar, what's the big secret, but that has not moved for a really long time. As 5savages said, I have not sent a note to the holder, just hoping that it lands some day and relatively close. Might be able to see the smoke trail for that one when it hits the ground as I run after it.

only my 2-cents worth.
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several that I picked up out West in January- they have specific East Coast goals(NJ, MAryland, Georgia, etc.). I notified the owners that I would be traveling in the Eastern states this April and would they like me to drop the bugs in MN when I got home, or hold on to them until I can get them to the East Coast. They all said to keep and drop on the east coast. Several had been kicking around the western states and the owners wanted them moved out. When we hit the eastern states next week and I pick up bugs I will ask them the same thing. Otherwise we usually drop them within a week of finging them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: