MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2/24/06 Article in the Northfield News

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fsu*noles
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: 2/24/06 Article in the Northfield News Reply with quote

A friend of mine brought in a full-page article from the Northfield News, with lots of color pics including one of the hollowed-out book caches in the Northfield Library. (I tried to put one of those in the Southdale and Ridgedale libraries, and was shot down both times by the library manager last year - anyone else tried recently?) There isn't a whole lot of new info there, but the pictures are fun and it's a positive, light article with lots of input from a local cacher.

Unfortunately, it's too large for me to scan, and the Northfield News won't let me get a copy online unless I "subscribe" for $56 a year. (Not gonna happen). I'll keep trying to find a way, but if anyone else has any ideas (or has access to the article), it might be a good one to post here. More soon I hope!

-Ken
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: 2/24/06 Article in the Northfield News Reply with quote

fsu*noles wrote:
(I tried to put one of those in the Southdale and Ridgedale libraries, and was shot down both times by the library manager last year - anyone else tried recently?)

You MIGHT have trouble getting it past Surfer Joe too. Wink
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I'm from Northfield-- I'll have my 'rents pull the article.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fsu*noles
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 2/24/06 Article in the Northfield News Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:

LOL nah, I've always gotten along just fine with his alter-ego, even if I *did* travel up into his neck of the woods every now and again, in search of FTF's! Wink

Seriously though, I did ask Mtn-Man before even contacting the libraries, I think it would've been ok, but who knows. I never could get the libraries to understand the concept here, I always got the impression they thought it would cost them $$ or something. I kinda let it go, but I figured someone would get it done...I've been to one or two very nicely done library caches, and the librarians there were always supportive and got a kick out of 'em! Anyway, fwiw...
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 2/24/06 Article in the Northfield News Reply with quote

[quote="Moe the Sleaze"]
fsu*noles wrote:

The Ramsey County Library in White Bear Lake has one of these and it's one of my fav. finds.

If the library manager has no objection to doing this, would Surfer Joe have a problem with it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Surfer Joe
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 2/24/06 Article in the Northfield News Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
If the library manager has no objection to doing this, would Surfer Joe have a problem with it?

(This topic should probably get split off into its own thread)

The answer is, it depends. I'm not familiar with the cache you mentioned so I don't know if I would have an issue with it or not. However, this type of cache, which now seems to be cropping up all over the country, has been the subject of much discussion on the groundspeak reviewer forums. The problem is this...

While it is recognized that some folks go out and find caches without a GPSr, the definition of a "geocache", at least groundspeak's definition, is that GPS should normally be used, at least in part, to find the cache. Now, if there is a cache hidden in a library, and the description makes it obvious that that is where the cache is (even if there is some kind of puzzle involved to find the specific spot within the library) and the posted coordinates only serve to get you to the library's front door or parking lot, that cache stands very little chance of being listed. The way around it is to make a multi-cache where either the final is in the library, but you must find another stage first (using GPS) to get the exact location, or you have to go to the libarary to find clues as to where the final cache is which you then find using GPS.

Surfer Joe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Media Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: