MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The President's Cacheside Chat (February 2006)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> President's Cacheside Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: The President's Cacheside Chat (February 2006) Reply with quote

This month has been a busy month for the MnGCA. As always, I’m going to give you the short and then the long. For those of you that don’t care (or are up to date) you can just read the short bit and move along Smile For those of you that want to see everything it’s all right there in its infinite glory.

Short:

Three Rivers has approved a new geocaching policy as of 1/19/06, Detroit Lakes has adopted the very open Duluth geocaching policy as their own, CITO Day will be at Thompson County Park in West St. Paul, 2006 MnGCA Geocoins shipped on 1/21/06 and have been well received, we’re having a Breakfast Buddies in Fargo, ND on 4/29/06, and another DNR/MnGCA meeting was held on 2/3/06.

Long:

Old-business updates:

Quote:
I have been in touch with Three Rivers since my last monthly update and we are still waiting on their late-January Board meeting before we hear back about the successes of the policy that the MnGCA proposed back in November.

I will pass along any information I receive as soon as I hear back from Three Rivers.

Well, as many of you already know, the Three Rivers policy was approved on January 19th, 2006 and is vast improvement over their older policy.

Highlights are:

1. More than one cache per person per park.

2. One time registration per cache (unlimited duration).

3. Up to twenty (20) caches per park using the .10 distance test.

Please note:

They were not willing to increase the 25 foot from trail distance requirement and asked that we pass on to our member and usership that they want this strictly adhered to.

Quote:
Some discussions have occurred about the April 26th, 2006 CITO Day and we are exploring several options including Dakota County Parks, Three Rivers Parks, and possibly some DNR lands. Nothing is set in stone at this time.

If you would like to help out, have some suggestions for CITO locations, or have any other comments about the 2006 CITO day, please contact sui generis privately.

Currently we are planning on the International CITO Day to be held on April 22nd, 2006 at Dakota County’s Thomson County Park located in West St. Paul (map)

Dakota County has agreed to supply us with trash bags and bag pickup. Check out the cache page here. We will be meeting at 10AM at the parking lot that the cache page cords point to.

Quote:
Arrow 1. The April 29th, 2006 Breakfast Buddies will be held at the Fryin’ Pan restaurant in *Fargo, ND*. We currently have reservations for 25-30 and a private area reserved. I realize that this date is more than the “third month outstate” that we tried to stick to but that’s how it worked out this time.

We are considering Grand Rapids area for the July 2006 Breakfast Buddies so mark your calendar! The Grand Rapids area is gorgeous and chock full of excellent caches.

The Fargo, ND Breakfast Buddies event has been posted to geocaching.com and is ready for you to mark if you’re planning to attend. Check out the cache page here for more information.

Quote:
Arrow 2. The 2006 MnGCA Geocoin pre-sale has ended and the order has been placed. We are expecting the coins within several weeks. The sale was considered a huge success and there are some preliminary discussions occurring about a 2007 coin.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns check out the MnGCA Geocoin? thread here: http://www.mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1431 or contact Arcticabn (or any of the geocoin committee members) privately.

The 2006 MnGCA Geocoins shipped to all Minnesota residents on Saturday January 21st, 2006 and the response has been great.

I’d like to personally thank Arcticabn, fsu*noles, jambro, KC0GRN, LanceVE, and MNMizzou for their hardwork and dedication to getting these coins planned, voted on, designed, minted, and printed.

Great job!

New business:

Arrow 1. Paklid, Pear Head, and Silent Bob were in attendance at the February DNR meeting. We will be continuing to work with the DNR through the spring and fall while geocaching regulations go through the rule revision process. This process can take from one to two years and we will be there every step of the way to make sure that Minnesota geocachers are fairly represented.

Arrow 2. Other Park Relations initial contacts will continue through early 2006 and on. With the updates to the Three Rivers policy finalized and posted we are looking to work with the other park districts that have similar policies to Three Rivers. Those parks include Carver, Champlin, and Ramsey.

We’ll keep you posted on any developments there.

Arrow 3. We were notified by onionpond that the City of Detroit Lakes has adopted a policy very similar to that of the Duluth geocaching policy and it is currently in use there. This is great news as we all know the hard work and effort that went into creating an open and friendly policy for all parties. Detroit Lakes has dropped the notification requirements included in the Duluth policy and we have a copy of the text posted here: http://www.mngca.org/detroitlakes.php

Arrow 4. A reminder that on 5/1/2006 (and every year on May 1st thereafter) we will be clearing our membership roles of those users that are “MnGCA Members” but have no logged into the website (http://www.mngca.org/login.php) in a year or more. In order to be eligible for voting, members only benefits, etc, you must make sure that you have logged in at least once in a 365 day period.

Arrow 5. Some minor changes occurred to the “cacher pages” that include a bit better looking interface, inclusion of the user’s avatar, recent posts, and private messaging through the MnGCA hosted Forum. If you have any other ideas or design help to offer please let me know privately.

---

That’s it for this month so far. As always we’ll keep you informed as the month goes on and I’ll recap it here for you in March.

Happy cachin’,

Silent Bob
MnGCA President
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> President's Cacheside Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: