MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MnGCA Cannonball Wilderness Run (MnGCA Spring Event)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajayhawkfan
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking forward to attending your event. I believe I will even have a brother-in-law from Stillwater, MN (and a newbe) coming as well.

My plans are to drive up Friday and stay the night. Is anyone else staying in the area Friday night and if so where? I though it might be fun to meet for a drink somewhere.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is interested in making prize donations, please contact me privately. We'll take (and give away) just about anything! Smile

Currently we have offers of TB tags, pop, coins, and REI's donation of a day pack!

Looks like this event is gonna be a big one with lots of people coming up from "South of the Border"! Keep em coming!

Deadline for food signups is 6/1. Don't forget!
WindChill
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajayhawkfan wrote:
I am looking forward to attending your event. I believe I will even have a brother-in-law from Stillwater, MN (and a newbe) coming as well.

My plans are to drive up Friday and stay the night. Is anyone else staying in the area Friday night and if so where? I though it might be fun to meet for a drink somewhere.

Im planning to stay in the area Friday and Saturday. I was hoping for a motel in Faribault or Owatonna but rooms seem to be kind of scarce so I may pull the camper up after all.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pretty much just got home from working on the event "down there". Oneied Cooky, Chris, and I went to the park today and hid some caches. Currently there are two multis and two trads as well as a couple of temp caches as well.

I tried to make them relatively easy to find due to the lengthy hikes involved. Anything to keep ajayhawkfan from going crazy Smile

Heh, we got a little lost out there (I blame the sun Wink) and didn't finish as many as we wanted. Cooky and I will be out there again to finish up and make some minor changes.

Park looks great! Looking forward to the event.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SB,

How far are we talking. I'm thinking about the younger cachers?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several within close proximity to the pavillion. There are also others that are way out there.
fidian
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you going to have .gpx files for us to quickly transfer the nearby temporary caches and the race caches all into our gps receivers, Palms, babies, etc? Sure, I can query geocaching.com for a few, but what about those temporary ones and caches that won't be approved until just after I leave the house?

Another question: What if I want to bring a door prize without prior notice? Let's just say I found a great deal on a solar-powered aeromatic water bottle with convenient sun dial. Would it be ok to just bring stuff to the event without any prior notice to the board? Or, if I had a pre-made cache, just add water, would that be ok?
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Yes, I'll have a laptop with the GPXs. Bring your own cable if you don't have a Garmin with a USB cable.

2. Donations of any kind are welcome at anytime. Everyone likes surprizes Smile
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got back from a second of two trips to Northfield this weekend while setting up a puzzle cache in the woods. I'm working Moe/Joe on seeing which of the waypoints I can use, but expect to have a crack at it next weekend. Diff 3-3.5, Terr 2-2.5 depending on which we use.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donations update:

$50 REI Daypack - REI

Two .50 Cal Ammo Boxes - GeoPierce

"Gift Pack" - FSU*Noles

1. Two $10 Target gift cards
2. One unactivated TB tag
3. One unactivated Tracking Time geocoin
4. One $20 Holiday gas station gift card

Several Johnsonville Free Brats Coupons - Johnsonville

Unregistered TB tags and some pop - accordiangal

One gold ajayhawkfan geocoin - ajayhawkfan

mtn-man geocoin and some other "random" coin - celticwulf

The MnGCA purchased:

Two MnGCA T-Shirts
Hooded MnGCA Sweatshirt
Regular MnGCA Sweatshirt
Two MnGCA Mugs

If anyone else has anything to donate, please let me know privately and thanks to everyone who has already contacted me! If I'm missing anything, please let me know Smile
fidian
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about internet access. How many people would want net access while at the park? Theoretically, I can set up my little inverter to power my laptop and my cell phone, then share the net connection in an ad-hoc network for anyone to use. I'll probably set that up after the run so that people can log their finds. Would any really geeky people, like myself, find that desireable? If so, maybe I can beg for a "central" parking spot so I can give out access as much as possible. I also plan on setting up bluetooth along with 802.11b/g, if I get this thing going.

That is, of course, if nobody else is doing it. If someone already has something like this working and is planning on doing the same, I'll just let them do it instead of spending the time on Thursday making everything work as expected. Smile
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fidian wrote:
I was thinking about internet access. How many people would want net access while at the park? Theoretically, I can set up my little inverter to power my laptop and my cell phone, then share the net connection in an ad-hoc network for anyone to use. I'll probably set that up after the run so that people can log their finds. Would any really geeky people, like myself, find that desireable? If so, maybe I can beg for a "central" parking spot so I can give out access as much as possible. I also plan on setting up bluetooth along with 802.11b/g, if I get this thing going.

That is, of course, if nobody else is doing it. If someone already has something like this working and is planning on doing the same, I'll just let them do it instead of spending the time on Thursday making everything work as expected. Smile

I don't know of anyone else that is planning on doing this. The parking lot is "small" but we can swap my car around for you to get a primo spot for this.

Thanks!
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This park is kind of in the middle of nowhere and as I recall there is a fair amount of significant terrain around the parking lot. Cell coverage may be iffy depending on your provider. I say go for it but don't be too disappointed if it doesn't work.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:
This park is kind of in the middle of nowhere and as I recall there is a fair amount of significant terrain around the parking lot. Cell coverage may be iffy depending on your provider. I say go for it but don't be too disappointed if it doesn't work.

I have coverage in the parking area up through the middle of the park. I regain signal at the top side of the park.

You should be fine in the lot.
Paklid
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the entrance to the parking area from 150th street (coming from the west)? The only time I ever went to this park, I ended up climbing over a fence to get there.

Make that - I lifted two 100+ pound dogs over, and THEN climbed over a fence.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: