MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

error sending waypoints from GSAK to GPS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: error sending waypoints from GSAK to GPS Reply with quote

The GSAK Application is working fine until I go to send the waypoints to my Garmin V. Gpsbabel.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. GSAK acts as if the waypoints were sent after you close the error message but when you check the GarminV there is nothing. On the set up area I have selected Garmin, did not uncheck as I am using a seriel port, com ports blank (if I put com1 thru com4 it doesn't see them), port speed is automatically set, max set is 300.

Any ideas.

I am not PC literate so please provide simple instructions
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to have some kind of serial port set... otherwise it won't know where to talk to. This is most likely why it's erroring, but I'm not sure why it's not seeing it on 1-4...

/Don't know, I use USB interface
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. i'm going to get a seriel port to USB adapter tommorrow and that should be a good work around.
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if that's going to solve your problem camocacher.

You said you connect your Garmin V to your computer via a serial port, there shouldn't be an issue as long as your computer's serial port doesn't have a problem (or the cable you use isn't damaged).

It's possible your Garmin V is set to another communication mode other than the Garmin standard. Check the setting on your Garmin V from the main menu > setup > interface and make sure the format is set to "Garmin". If it is set to anything else, that will most likely be your communication issue.
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC0GRN wrote:
I'm not sure if that's going to solve your problem camocacher.

You said you connect your Garmin V to your computer via a serial port, there shouldn't be an issue as long as your computer's serial port doesn't have a problem (or the cable you use isn't damaged).

It's possible your Garmin V is set to another communication mode other than the Garmin standard. Check the setting on your Garmin V from the main menu > setup > interface and make sure the format is set to "Garmin". If it is set to anything else, that will most likely be your communication issue.

Nope that is good to go on Garmin. The laptop has "issues." I use the desktop and it runs fine. I think it's the PC.
Dances With Beehives
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Garmin V and the issue I had with my laptop was that it had no serial port. I got a USB adapter at circuit city. It works fine.
The sales guy couldn't find it and said he didn't think they made such a thing...but I kept looking.
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dachebo wrote:
I have a Garmin V and the issue I had with my laptop was that it had no serial port. I got a USB adapter at circuit city. It works fine.
The sales guy couldn't find it and said he didn't think they made such a thing...but I kept looking.

Yeah we think ours is simialr, the port is there but no active on the PC. I did see Circuit City carries the adapter and plan on getting it soon.
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

possibly the BIOS settings have the port turned off (conserve resources or something). Sorry for the misdiagnosis, just trying to save ya a few bucks.

Personally I'd like to aquire a used laptop someday for caching (enough to get me on the net, powered up in the car, and interface with a GPS or two. On the long haul road trips I found having one is invaluable.
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camo,

Don't go buy the USB adapter until you figure out what's wrong with your serial port. I say this because, from what I've seen in the past, that may also make it so your USB adapter will not work...and yes, I know...PC's suck Wink

What you will end up needing to do is go into the system properties for your PC and define which com port your serial port is on, and then configure both your GPSr for that com port as well as GSAK. It's decently easy to do, but sometimes complicated to get to the right place. I'm not certain of this, but I swear I saw a walkthrough of connection issues on Garmin's website, so that may be a place to look...or possibly geocaching.com not sure where I saw it but I know I've seen things describing what to do if your GPSr will not connect to your PC, and most that I remember seeing say that the USB adapter isn't always the best option...

Let us know what you figure out.
Celticwulf
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also got a USB to Serial Adapter. One of the reasons is that when my notebook is undocked the internal mouse talkes up the COM port setting.
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

celticwulf wrote:
Camo,

Don't go buy the USB adapter until you figure out what's wrong with your serial port. I say this because, from what I've seen in the past, that may also make it so your USB adapter will not work...and yes, I know...PC's suck Wink

What you will end up needing to do is go into the system properties for your PC and define which com port your serial port is on, and then configure both your GPSr for that com port as well as GSAK. It's decently easy to do, but sometimes complicated to get to the right place. I'm not certain of this, but I swear I saw a walkthrough of connection issues on Garmin's website, so that may be a place to look...or possibly geocaching.com not sure where I saw it but I know I've seen things describing what to do if your GPSr will not connect to your PC, and most that I remember seeing say that the USB adapter isn't always the best option...

Let us know what you figure out.
Celticwulf

CW thanks for the info. I'll search for it and see what I come up with.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's kind of a twist on that question... I have the standard Garmin serial cable, which works fine when it is hooked into the serial port on our desktop. I got a serial-USB adaptor (off e-bay new) but cannot get it to work on my notebook through the USB. I checked, it thinks the USB/Serial cable is on COM 4, which is what I have GSAK set to, but it's still no go. Any ideas?
fidian
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Serial-to-USB adaptor reports itself as COM 5 through COM13. It depends on which USB port I plug it into, and something about how I have plugged devices into my laptop. I fiddled with a USB cable for my Garmin, a Serial cable + adaptor, and a USB mouse GPS, which shows up as a serial device. Because of all of that, my com ports are often just wacky.
RubberToes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fidian wrote:
My Serial-to-USB adaptor reports itself as COM 5 through COM13. It depends on which USB port I plug it into, and something about how I have plugged devices into my laptop.

Oh, this is nice good to hear. After months of stability my connections to my Garmin and Palm suddenly went out of kilter. I had just added a new external hard drive on one of the USB ports, but I didn't link the two events at the time. Now that I see what's going on, everything makes more sense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: