MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The bomb squad is caching!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 5:57 pm    Post subject: The bomb squad is caching! Reply with quote

Well. . .this is an interesting development. I can attest that it was marked with an official "This is a geocache" sticker on the outside and had an explanation "Congrats you found a geocache" printout inside.

I cannot blame the police in this day and age, but I still think it is a tad silly.

The real issue here is that the cache was not hidden that well. I can accept all fault for that - it was pointed out several times to me and I knew it from the moment I hid it.

I have already stopped hiding olive-drab ammo boxes even before this incident. My newer caches in ammo boxes are all now hand-cammo'd with a mix of brown, tan, black, and forest green. All still have the official sticker on them as well.

Details:

Quote:

HI Towlebooth-

We went to Perry's Cache in Como today and were greeted by four police officers. They said that a park clean-up crew found your cache and was worried that it was in an ammo box so they called the police who called the bomb-squad. The bomb squad was on the way when we showed up in the area. Although we were trying to be inconspicuous, as we always are when caching, I guess we looked suspicious b/c the officers approached us (we thought they were just hanging out chatting...two were bike cops the other 2 in a squad) Anyway we described that it was a geocache and they began to ask alot of questions about what it looked like etc. We told them about the website, and how it all works. They took our info and asked us to email you. They weren't real thrilled about the ammo box container as it is "too suspicious in this day and age." We all went over and we showed them what it was, how it had been marked, and the contents. Anyway it has been "disabled" by the St. Paul police and they said if you want to pick up the cache you have to go down to the St. Paul station to sign for it.

ps- we offered to a take picture with your camera of us with the cops but they weren't into it...oh well. The most memorable cache by far!

I gots me a story for the cacher gathering in Eau Clair tomorrow!

Last edited by towlebooth on Sun Apr 13, 2003 6:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Somebody remind me again why we hate Tupperware caches????

Towlebooth -- I'll loan you one of my lovely garishly colored Tupperware canisters (the ones you *love* so much) for your next cache -- That way everyone will just think you are excentric collector of junk Wink and not a mad bomber - LOL LOL LOL
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's terribly sad and hillarious at the same time.

Unfortunately, there wasn't a funny side to this cache today:

Wolfpack Number 1

I've read about looted caches before, but it's a different feeling finding one yourself. Bleh.

-Aaron

P.S. On a good note, got a lot of hiking in today, found 7 caches (including my 100th) and ran into AZG and did a few caches with her.
LanceVE
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:55 am    Post subject: The Bomb Squad is reading the Forums! Reply with quote

Read This posted on the national forums!
EelSid
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheesh. I agree with people on the forums who say that it doesn't matter what container is used. As long as they can't see inside, someone's might flip out, especially in a core city. So basically the moral of the story is what? Better education, container marking and just be resigned to the fact that this will occasionally happen?
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 7:37 am    Post subject: Moe really is a sleeze! Reply with quote

His log on Coingo Boingo:

Quote:
(15:25) When I arrived at the location of this cache I found several ATF agents standing around examining a small object...

Just kidding.

Laughing

Good one Moe!
LanceVE
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 3:04 pm    Post subject: Others not quite so lucky.... Reply with quote

It looks like the Cleveland PD has a FIND now as well..... Shocked Unfortunately, for the cache in question, there was nobody around to tell them what it was they found.....
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=40267

in case this log disappears:

May 5 by Abers (0 found)

Just to let everyone know i found out why the cache is gone. My friend heard that someone had found the cache by some sort of accident and they thought it was a bomb. I guess it makes sense...a small black tube. But anyways the cache was removed by our lovely st. paul police even though it wasn't a bomb! Oh Well!!!

May 3 by Abers (0 found)

We searched and searched for it for over and hour and came up empty handed. Seriously, we turned that area inside out and it was no where to be found. Our thoughts is that some jerk took it to spoil everyone else's fun. Oh well, on to the next one!

arrive...raise heck...leave (SCSA)
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet Abers was confused -- cache goes missing in the same park and they assume the same thing happened. If you didn't get an email it probably was not the police.
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KB,

Have you verified that the cache is gone? I'm betting that Abers' friend is refering to Towlebooth's cache.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the same thing after posting that. I haven't verified it. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's probably still there.

15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I'll get to the area to check on if for you before anyone else does, but due to the size of the cache container and where it was hidden, I don't think it would be found by accident by a geomuggle.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's there, and NOW there's another brick in the wall.

Abe&Carly
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, lunch boxes as cache containers seem to have a great benefit. They are a bit more difficult to hide due to the colors, but the size is right, and most often a stranger wouldn't open a random lunchbox found in the woods. By the way, is our heightened state of security (oh no we're at orange!) due to the accidental discovery of caches? I wonder. Shocked
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may date me, but I have a "Buck Rogers in the 24th Century" lunchbox stored away at one of the folks' houses (from the 70s TV show)--I don't think, if I ever find it, it'll get turned into a cache container, though. I used to have "Battlestar Galactica", too, but I know that one got destroyed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: