MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Surfer gets his due
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheGilby4
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: The Surfer gets his due Reply with quote

I would just like to give some credit to Surfer Joe on an outstanding job of doing his volunteer job in a very speedy fashion.

With all due respect to mtn-man. Mtn had his plate full and as a result, we were getting new caches for our area posted in an irregular pattern. Its obvious that mtn-man or gc.com or whoever, picked the right local person for the job.

Maybe caches are being placed at a higher rate. Or, maybe its all in my head. Regardless, caches are being approved fast and furiously, and I thank you for your quickness which enables my addiction.
team-deadhead
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last weekend this cache was placed, reported and approved in less then an hour and a half Exclamation Thanks Surfer Joe Exclamation

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=490bf71f-b474-4527-a09a-18e509c14c4a
Wo-oh, what I want to know is, are you kind?
team-deadhead
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And found about 2 hours later Exclamation Exclamation

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=6cd9deea-fb71-402e-a2a9-309e4f6a1309
Wo-oh, what I want to know is, are you kind?
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Last weekend this cache was placed, reported and approved in less then an hour and a half

WOW ... I've only had two caches approved by Surfer Joe. I assumed he was swamped with Roseville caches.
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience has been very enjoyable under Surfer Joe's organization.

The first attempt to place a cache took over a week under Mtn-man, only to realize I was a few feet too close to another... how dissapointing.

Thanks Joe-- I look forward to placing more caches that'll receive your approval (in Roseville or any other lucky place).
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Surfer Joe
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words folks. I do my best to publish caches as soon as possible.

In defense of mtn-man, I have even more respect now for the work he did here in Minnesota. This job involves a lot more work than I had imagined. I assumed I would be able to publish the vast majority of caches without any extra interaction with hiders, but that has not been the case at all. Given the amount of territory mtn-man covered, I'm amazed he did as well as he did. I can certainly understand how with dozens and dozens of caches in your review queue, it would be very easy to slide those with issues onto the back burner while the clean submittals get the attention. Having to mostly worry about only one state (I've done some back-up reviewing for some other areas) that hasn't yet been an issue for me.

Surfer Joe
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I assumed I would be able to publish the vast majority of caches without any extra interaction with hiders, but that has not been the case at all.

What issues have you had to deal with? Anything that occurs most often, or a variety of things?
Surfer Joe
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
What issues have you had to deal with? Anything that occurs most often, or a variety of things?

Anything and everything. Too close to other caches, too close to railroad tracks, in parks that require registration, in areas where caching is not allowed, 1-star terrain ratings where you are expected to climb around under bridges........

In not all cases is there anything actually wrong but there are questions I have to ask and wait for the answers.

Surfer Joe
Posen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucidOndine wrote:

Thanks Joe-- I look forward to placing more caches that'll receive your approval (in Roseville or any other lucky place).

Wow...I can't believe Lucid was even SUGGESTING placing a cache in Roseville...Surfer Joe...tell him it can't happen!!!

Wink
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anything and everything. Too close to other caches, too close to railroad tracks, in parks that require registration, in areas where caching is not allowed, 1-star terrain ratings where you are expected to climb around under bridges........

[Removed by software] now I'm one of those guys ... Sorry Joe

I guess I'll go back to finding. Maybe I'll get a milestone today. Evil or Very Mad
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
Quote:

[Removed by software] now I'm one of those guys ... Sorry Joe

me too.. had to redo my puzzle.. Crying or Very sad Maybe I should have asked before putting something on a bridge over RR tracks, huh?
Toby Tyler
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently started placing caches and have also been very appreciative of Surfer Joe's speedy work and the professionalism in which he handles my mistakes! He has spoiled us now. We will start to expect caches published within the hour and will get mad when it takes him 12.

Keep up the good work!
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely spoiled, since I started placing caches after Surfer Joe showed up. It once took over a week to approve a cache under mtn-man?? Wow.
Posen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, sure we have a great "approver," but I still suck at caching.

...can we get an "improver" who will make us better? That would be helpful!

Wink
P3nGu1N
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surfer Joe responded to my cache submission within a day, and was very patient in corresponding with me while I got proper permission from City Hall at La Crescent. Everything was worked through before October hit, and he approved it for an enjoyable Halloween cache experience.

Here's Props to Surfer Joe! Cool

BTW, my cache link is above my signature V
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: