MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Geocaching Article in LA Times

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Geocaching Article in LA Times Reply with quote

A good article:

http://www.latimes.com/features/lifestyle/cl-wk-cover16feb16,0,2520493.story?coll=la-home-style

And a bad one:

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all-a1_4geocachingfeb16,0,1558077.story
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, I got the zip code from google maps:
http://maps.google.com/maps?oi=map&q=1100+Hellertown+Road,+Bethlehem,+PA

Then I tried searching on geocaching.com and found the cache:
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCTE9K&log=y

edit: changed geocaching.com url
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the one GP linked too is the cache, I'd been following this since Tuesday on the Geocaching.com travel bug forum. The thing that annoys me on the one the police took is the idea it was a TB hotel with the standard 1-1 replacement, but started with 10 travel bugs....and still no word on if those bugs are going to be able to keep moving now that the police have them. Sad

I liked the first article though, although I don't know how many of us are really in it for the numbers...well, at least I'm not Wink

Celticwulf
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the second article:

" Police Capt. John Sarnicky said the department wants to know where the caches are. If police knew the locations, he said, they would still have to investigate calls about suspicious packages but could possibly tailor their response."

OK Capt. here's what you do... get a GPS, when you are at a location, relay the coords to your dispatcher and have them check the gc.com website for any nearby caches. There ya go... heck you can even log it as a find if you want. I understand the whole heightened alert thing, working in news I see more crap cross the wires than ever gets told locally.... but there has to be apoint where you use a little common sense. I mean an ammo box sitting on the corner of the IDS, I can see that being suspicious... an ammo box sitting on the side of a hill in a park near a highway? Yeah that's Bin Laden's new strategy, blow up random plots of American dirt. Two words... common sense.
jrest
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read both articles, looked at the cache links, I probably should be working.... nah

I liked the latimes article, I know a couple california cachers and have found some caches out there in the land of fruit and "Nuts". They sure have a different style of hiding stuff in the "big city".

As for PA, big bummer about that one, and only found ONCE!! Sheesh, MNMizzou, I am with ya.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Media Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: