MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin vs. Magellan vs. Lowrance
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HugoBear wrote:
FWIW...
I called Lowrance tech support with a problem I had wit ha card reader I bought. I quickly described the problem to the person, then he started in with the name, phone number, address speech. I got through that and he simply said the new part would be there in 2- 3 days. No returns, no hassles, no anything. I was stunned. "That's what we do." is all he said to me before saying goodbye.
Very impressed.
Does Gargellan do that?

When I had a problem with my Magellan, that I bought from Gander Mountain, I brought it back there, and walked out of the store with a new one free of charge that day.

Props to Gander Mountain.
FlagFinder
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well ive put this in other places now here. dont waste your money on a garmin! i have an explorist 210 which im getting ready to sell and a 60cx. my 210 gets far better accuracy with the 14 channels over 12 the rubber is more durable maps are cheaper. the whole unit actually is prety affordable no nead to cover your port with rubber its waterproof as it is. now i have this garmin that i will stick with because i paid plenty for it. so far with my expieriance i must go for magellan. why did i listen to everyone else.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got my explorist 500 from the montana contest.

It's not a bad little gps, but hooking up the usb cable is kinda screwy.

It can be attached in either of two directions, however it only works when the side where the cable comes out of the connector is pointed to the bottom of the unit. Which in turn means the GPS won't sit flat on a table while connected to the computer. It's kind of stupid considering if you'd flip it around, the connector has enough clearance so the gps could sit flat.

I like how it came preloaded with 40 waypoints of areas around Montana, classy.

Other than that I like it. Of course I haven't had it out caching yet... And I'd still prefer my Garmin when push comes to shove, and I still have my eye on that new Rino 530Hcx...
FlagFinder
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well take a look at the bushnell onix 400 OHH MAN!!! now thats my dream gps!!! Very Happy Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the Delorme Earthmate GPS PN-20

with Aerial Imagery Downloads

https://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?section=10106&item=25786
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FlagFinder wrote:
well take a look at the bushnell onix 400 OHH MAN!!! now thats my dream gps!!! Very Happy Cool

Just saw this in a magazine.. It certainly looks cool.. Satellite images on the GPS?! But I wonder how good they are, and how much they cost. I'd want to download images for the whole metro area.. Is that practical? And, I wonder how good the rest of the GPS is. Never heard of Bushnell before. Is it as good as a Garmin X series, or would I be stuck with sub-Magellan accuracy? Wink I read some unhappy reviews of the ONIX 200. So I'm going to wait and see.. Not expecting much.
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
FlagFinder wrote:

Just saw this in a magazine.. It certainly looks cool.. Satellite images on the GPS?! But I wonder how good they are, and how much they cost. I'd want to download images for the whole metro area.. Is that practical? And, I wonder how good the rest of the GPS is. Never heard of Bushnell before. Is it as good as a Garmin X series, or would I be stuck with sub-Magellan accuracy? Wink I read some unhappy reviews of the ONIX 200. So I'm going to wait and see.. Not expecting much.

I've heard of Bushnell before. They make binoculars and other products. I just checked their website and the GPS section has a "new" label next to it. I'll stick with Garmin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: