MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

palm add-on

View previous topic :: View next topic  
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 11:43 pm    Post subject: palm add-on Reply with quote

http://store.palm.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1162693&cp=1170728.1157660&parentPage=family

anyone know anything about this?

a non-geocaching (so far) friend is asking about it.

arrive...raise heck...leave (SCSA)
LanceVE
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have an older version for the Palm III....

It was OK, but I really disliked the RandMcNally software. It was only good for navigating roads since there was no easy Lat/Lon interface, only street addresses. And when you got to the edge of whatever streetmap you had loaded, if you didn't return to the map in less than a minute, the software helpfully turned the GPS off for you.....

I also don't know about the computing power of the newer Palm's and what tasks the GPS offloads on the Palm, but on my IIIxe unit, the map refreshes were really slow and position updates always seemed to be lagging.

I myself switched to a plain yellow eTrex to lug along with my Palm, and I'm happy. Now I can be looking at the cache info page on my Palm while I'm looking at the GPS pointing in the opposite direction from where the cache cctually is.... Rolling Eyes Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: