MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Frappr
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmnrec
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone else have their computer go into complete freeze up when they go to the site? It has happened to me every time I try it. Then I have to shut my computer down to use it again.
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmnrec wrote:
Does anyone else have their computer go into complete freeze up when they go to the site? It has happened to me every time I try it. Then I have to shut my computer down to use it again.

I've been making Google maps and I know that they can cause a computer to slow down or possibly crash your browser if the map has hundreds of markers on it. But I don't think 44 markers should be a problem. Smile
dmnrec
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine crashes completely, then I have to hit the power button to get it back....must be getting old (the computer, not me)...
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmnrec wrote:
Mine crashes completely, then I have to hit the power button to get it back....must be getting old (the computer, not me)...

That could be too. There's a lot of javascript going on behind Google Maps and older computers might have problems with that.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
must be getting old (the computer, not me)...

Mine tends to do that once in a while (mine at home that is). Only had it about 31/2 years and someone is telling me that it is time to gt a new one. Seem like a waste of money, but mine is pretty slow. Have debugged numerous times and cleaned up some files. Works for about two weks then it's back to the same ol' same ol'. I may have to start saving and buy myself a new computer. It also doesn't help i'm sure that I still have dial-up.
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loneeagle_24 wrote:
Quote:
must be getting old (the computer, not me)...

Mine tends to do that once in a while (mine at home that is). Only had it about 31/2 years and someone is telling me that it is time to gt a new one. Seem like a waste of money, but mine is pretty slow. Have debugged numerous times and cleaned up some files. Works for about two weks then it's back to the same ol' same ol'. I may have to start saving and buy myself a new computer. It also doesn't help i'm sure that I still have dial-up.

2 years is about the max, maybe 3 if you bought top of the line, before it's time to buy a new computer now days. Smile
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lies! I still have my p133 laptop (40MB of RAM) from 1996 chugging along and if I would stop being cheap and buy some CPU fans my 1999 Abit BP6 would be churning along sucking electricity as well Wink
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
lies! I still have my p133 laptop (40MB of RAM) from 1996 chugging along

Isn't this the laptop you told me you never use because it is so obolete? Laughing
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lies! I still have my p133 laptop (40MB of RAM) from 1996 chugging along and if I would stop being cheap and buy some CPU fans my 1999 Abit BP6 would be churning along sucking electricity as well Wink

Yeah, but can you run Windows XP (eXtra Problems) on it? Laughing
Old computers are only good for running the original operating system or Linux. Smile
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yeah, but can you run Windows XP (eXtra Problems) on it?

I believe XP just came out when I got my last computer. It had the XP built into it. Sooooo.......... would anyone have any recommendations for a new computer then? The one I am using currently is a HP. I got it with the whole package: printer, mouse, keyboard, monitor, and cpu. I don't need all of these items. I would just be interested in getting a new processor, and possibly a new flatscreen monitor. Would like to stay with HP if I can, but you might be able to talk me into another brand if you can put up a good argument for it.

I still have my old original computer yet. Wonder where I could get rid of that one? No one probably wants anything that old anymore. I think it has a 350 speed processor. Not sure if that's the correct terminology for that either.

BTW, if the gods that be want to split this off into a new topic I won't be offended.
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loneeagle_24 wrote:
I believe XP just came out when I got my last computer. It had the XP built into it. Sooooo.......... would anyone have any recommendations for a new computer then? The one I am using currently is a HP. I got it with the whole package: printer, mouse, keyboard, monitor, and cpu. I don't need all of these items. I would just be interested in getting a new processor, and possibly a new flatscreen monitor. Would like to stay with HP if I can, but you might be able to talk me into another brand if you can put up a good argument for it.

I'm sure everyone has their favorite brand. But I've bought nothing but Dell for almost 5 years. I've bought two laptops and a server. They always have specials. My wife is still using an old Micron that we bought at Best Buy back in 2000. It has been a great computer but I think we might be putting our tax return towards a new Dell this year.

loneeagle_24 wrote:
I still have my old original computer yet. Wonder where I could get rid of that one?

Make it into a cache container. Cool
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, if the computer runs XP OK...first thing I would do is look at getting data off of it and trying to reformat the thing. Microsoft's OS is notorious for causing things to get slower over time...a fresh install usually helps clear everything up. Also, with the way the net is now, a quick run through some online virus/spyware scanners may not be a bad idea to see what's going on.

As for the 2-3 year replacement...I actually am going to have to dissagree with that depending on what you're using the computer for. My desktop I picked up over 3 years ago, and all I've had to do is recently grab a new video card to keep that up to speed for some games I run. My new laptop is only slightly more powerful than desktop, but still modern enough. So far, for standard applications, you really don't need "top of the line" anymore...besides some of the latest games, no other applications have really been pushing hardware requirements.

Just my thoughts.
Celticwulf
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:
lies! I still have my p133 laptop (40MB of RAM) from 1996 chugging along

Isn't this the laptop you told me you never use because it is so obolete? Laughing

I use it for websurfing and SSH Smile
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

celticwulf wrote:
As for the 2-3 year replacement...I actually am going to have to dissagree with that depending on what you're using the computer for. My desktop I picked up over 3 years ago, and all I've had to do is recently grab a new video card to keep that up to speed for some games I run. My new laptop is only slightly more powerful than desktop, but still modern enough. So far, for standard applications, you really don't need "top of the line" anymore...besides some of the latest games, no other applications have really been pushing hardware requirements.

Yeah, I know what you mean. It does depend on what the computer is used for. If it's just email and surfing geocaching.com, you can get by with less.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
first thing I would do is look at getting data off of it and trying to reformat the thing. Microsoft's OS is notorious for causing things to get slower over time...a fresh install usually helps clear everything up.

I'm a(n) idiot when it comes to any type of programming.

Quote:
Also, with the way the net is now, a quick run through some online virus/spyware scanners may not be a bad idea to see what's going on.

I have this and do run it once a week.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: