MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cub Scouts Geocaching outing - 4/29/2006

View previous topic :: View next topic  
the_Crazy_Vacationer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Cub Scouts Geocaching outing - 4/29/2006 Reply with quote

Edited 3/29/2006 - updated information first

I have decided to do a picnic/family event for my Webelos den (Fourth Graders). We're going to go to Crosby Park on Saturday, 4/29/2006. We're going to have a picnic lunch, and then I'm going to teach them some Map and compass things along with running mini compass course.

At 1:15, I'm planning to give them an intro to Geocaching and we're planning to start at about 1:30. So far, I'm the only parent in the den who has done any geocaching. I also the only parent who's used a GPS. (1 parent has turned his on and another parent is thinking about buying one.) I'm not certain how many will show up, but I'm hoping for 6 or 7 of my 12 scouts.

If you would like to help out and introduce a new generation to Geocaching, I would love to have your assistance. That way, we could also break the scouts into smaller groups and give each scout more hands on time with a GPS.

Thanks,

Tom

----------------ORIGINAL POST----------------------------------
I'm a beginner Geocacher, and I'm also a Cub Scout den leader and pack cubmaster. Shocked I had this idea in July/August, but hadn't done anything with it yet, and then we had Polar Camp this past Saturday, 1/28/06.

They introduced the 4th and 5th grade scouts to GPS and had them run a mini course where they found a blue reflector with a code number. They had about 18 of them scattered around. After my scouts had a chance to do this, I talked with them and they all had a lot of fun. Very Happy

Here is my thought and questions. I remember reading about the Coon Rapids Lost Cache last July/August, and remember thinking it would be a great outing with the cub scouts. With 10 caches to gather the clues to the final cache, there are enough clues to find that we could break the scouts into small groups to find these.

I think it would be a fun way to introduce several families at once to the fun of geo-caching, and also would be a good way for the scouts to earn another pin/badge/belt loop. I would probably coordinate this on a Saturday (I'm thinking late April) and have them bring a picnic lunch. I may also announce this to the entire pack, rather than just a single den.

Since I haven't done this cache before (nor a lot of other ones Embarassed ), here are my questions:

Are the caches containing the clues spread out (meaning a car ride) or pretty close together (a good walk)?
Is this cache a good first experience for kids and parents?
Is there maybe another cache that could provide a similar experience?
Would any experienced geocachers be willing to join us and help out some newbies?

Thanks,

Tom

Last edited by the_Crazy_Vacationer on Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:41 pm; edited 3 times in total
jambro
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom,

I'm also a Den Leader for my son's Tiger den this year. I took them through a multi I have (No Monsters Here) and they had a great time. I've done the cache you're talking about, and I think the main drawback to that one is that it is really spread out around Coon Rapids/Blaine. Personally, I'd take them to a 3-5 stage multi within a single large park. My boys had a great time with just the 3 stages, and it didn't tap into their attention span too much. Good luck!
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Personally, I'd take them to a 3-5 stage multi within a single large park.

How about a 10 stage multi in a single park, like arcticabn's GPS Knowledge Challenge at Lebanon Hills?
the_Crazy_Vacationer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know about that one - I'll have to check it out.

See - I knew it would be a good idea to ask.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recommended to other troops (479 in Eden Prairie) that they try Crosby Farm Park. I believe there are ~15 caches around the lake and it's about 2.5 miles round-trip.

Some are inaccessable in the winter (especially for Cub Scouts) but the majority would be fine.
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lebanon Hills also has several caches.
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
jambro
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15Tango wrote:
Quote:
Personally, I'd take them to a 3-5 stage multi within a single large park.

How about a 10 stage multi in a single park, like arcticabn's GPS Knowledge Challenge at Lebanon Hills?

May be a little tough for Cubs. I tried it in about 3 hours one afternoon, was only able to finish about half of it. Then again, I suck at caching...
the_Crazy_Vacationer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump - new info in first post
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: