MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Winter Friendly?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Team Hooligan
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Winter Friendly? Reply with quote

What do you consider a winter friendly cache to be? I only have a couple of my caches listed this way, since the others are subject to snow cover. However I have done caches that say they are winter friendly and I have had to "dig" them out, or in some cases give up searching because of snow. Of course here in Northern Minnesota we have a large portion of the year where snow makes caching challenging.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I consider it winter friendly if I can find it in the winter. This may mean that I need to remove a couple of inches of snow from it, but if I consider it to be findable with a little bit of extra searching then it's "winter friendly".

If it's hidden under the sticks under a deadfall then it's not winter friendly. If it's in the middle of a stump that sticks up 4' then it's probably winter friendly.

To me the approach to the cache does not make or break "winter friendly". Anyone can hike through 2' of snow to get to a cache - you should know some of that before you head out to the cache.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Paklid
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The definition I had always liked is a cache that won't get covered by snowfall. Then I placed a cache beneath a large horizontal hollowed out tree and called it winter friendly because even in winter, the cache would be about as easy to see as it would be in summer.

I caught a bunch of flak over it from the people who think winter friendly is 18" or more off of the ground. I thought they were wrong and I was correct until my cache (under that tree, but on the ground) was discovered by a cacher this winter who couldn't dislodge it because the loose soil it was nestled in had grabbed it but good when frozen. So, even though there was no snow covering the container, it was not really accessible in winter after all..... Maybe the elevation test is the better one - unless pains are taken to ensure the container won't get stuck by frost or any other winter freeze up.

In the Twin Cities, we very seldom get snow depth greater than 18" so that might be the lower limit for winter friendliness at this latitude. Up north, several more inches would probably be needed to pass the test.
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All caches are winter friendly to me, some just take more work then others to get too.
Paklid
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcticabn's idea of winter friendly means you can walk over ice (winter) to the cache instead of launching a canoe (summer) in the middle of the night to go get it.
northtrekker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a cache page states it is winter friendly, then I usually
assume (ouch!) that I will find it either above snow level
or tucked into a hollow that isn't covered in 2 feet of snow.
I go with the idea that when I get to the location, I will be
able to find it without too much of a hassle of snow cover.
If it doesn't say anything about being "winter friendly" I
assume it will be buried.
Wink
~nt
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess my thoughts on "winter friendly" are the same and yet different than others here. I also think "above ground level" when I think winter friendly, because to me anything that is able to be completely covered in snow so the "beacon" aspect of it is gone, is not winter friendly. This would include anything that is NOT hidden in a beacon but just in the middle of an empty field, because although it's the same in winter and summer, in winter there's a chance that it's frozen in place and there is MORE similarity to the ground than usual in summer...although with some of the weeds that could be different Laughing Basically, if snowfall isn't going to affect the cache detrimentally (aka raising difficulty raiting) it's probably winter friendly.

But I also to tend to take the trail into account as well. If it's easiest to get by walking across a frozen lake than through the brush in summer, I'd consider it Winter Friendly. If the cache is not located somewhere walking there can get your leg can get broken by a mis-step in snow, it's probably winter friendly. So I'm the type that if it's basically off a marked trail in the woods and there's not much problems getting there, it's at least somewhat winter friendly.

But yeah, the second part is all just my current opinion that could change as quickly as the weather in Minnesota Wink

Celticwulf
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have yet to attempt a cache that was marked as winter friendly and not find it due to the snow. If someone tried one of mine and couldn't find it for reasons directly related to snow then I would likely change it's winter friendly status.

I feel around here that I can attempt these caches with some level of confidence that I can find it in the winter. I have not DNFed a cache yet that was marked as winter friendly. Knock on wood.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
I have yet to attempt a cache that was marked as winter friendly and not find it due to the snow. If someone tried one of mine and couldn't find it for reasons directly related to snow then I would likely change it's winter friendly status.

I feel around here that I can attempt these caches with some level of confidence that I can find it in the winter. I have not DNFed a cache yet that was marked as winter friendly. Knock on wood.

Pear Head, I tried to find your 100th Anniversary cache in Hartley last weekend(Mar 4th) and wasn't able to because of the snow. I was digging throw the snow on my hands and knees for more than 20 minutes. Smile
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoPierce wrote:
Pear Head, I tried to find your 100th Anniversary cache in Hartley last weekend(Mar 4th) and wasn't able to because of the snow. I was digging throw the snow on my hands and knees for more than 20 minutes. Smile

True, but that one is not marked as winter friendly either.

I had considered marking it specifically as NOT winter friendly although I've had people find it with snow on the ground (I've tried but cannot, but others have).

I'm not sure I have any of my caches marked as NOT winter friendly - I figured that most of them can be found in the snow. I suppose a couple cannot - maybe I should go back and mark those ones.... The 100th Anniversary probably isn't one though - it would certainly be VERY hard to find in the snow though..
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
GeoPierce wrote:

True, but that one is not marked as winter friendly either.

I had considered marking it specifically as NOT winter friendly although I've had people find it with snow on the ground (I've tried but cannot, but others have).

I'm not sure I have any of my caches marked as NOT winter friendly - I figured that most of them can be found in the snow. I suppose a couple cannot - maybe I should go back and mark those ones.... The 100th Anniversary probably isn't one though - it would certainly be VERY hard to find in the snow though..

I would mark it as one or the other and add a clarification to the cache description. Smile
CamoCacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through today and marked with a write a note log those that I feel might be a bit difficult to find rght now with the new snowfall.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoPierce wrote:
I would mark it as one or the other and add a clarification to the cache description. Smile

I think that this goes back some to what Hooligan brought up originally. To me there are three ways a cache can be considered for winter caching:

Winter friendly. It gets the snowflake. This cache should be able to be found in the winter.

Possible to find in the winter. This doesn't get a snowflake. People can find the cache in the winter but it's going to take a lot more work than normal. A very determined and very lucky cacher will find it after enough time. Normal sized ammo cans usually would qualify here.

Not possible to find in the winter. This gets the snowflake with the line though it. This cache will only be found by pure dumb luck and a blowtorch. Things like matchstick holders under the leaves qualify for this.

The cache is findable in the snow (see woodfrey's log on 1/27/06 - about a foot of snow when he found it). Personally I wouldn't seach for it in the snow, but that's me.

I will add a note to the cache page about the snow. Smile

[edit to make text bold]

Last edited by Pear Head on Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also remember some cache owners disabling caches at the beginning of the winter if they are not winter friendly. I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoPierce wrote:
I also remember some cache owners disabling caches at the beginning of the winter if they are not winter friendly. I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not.

Arrow http://www.mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1129

Arrow http://www.mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1858
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Northern MN All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: