MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This WILL happen @ Noon today, unless ...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
guilt attack My fault since I didn't give the lad a ride up there in time.

Whoa! I hope you didn't think my comment was meant to place any blame on you or your son. That certainly wasn't my intent!
Queen Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
King Boreas: You're not hurting me, you're hurting all geocachers who search for my caches...When a new cache is posted, my goal is achieved. Again, you're hurting everyone BUT me.

I disagree! While I look forward to finding the cache at the end of the rainbow, I enjoy discovering new parks and trail systems that I hadn't been to before. It's a disappointment to finish the trek without finding the pot of gold, but the great outdoors makes it worth it. Isn't that supposedly why we enjoy it so much?
RJ
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Moving 123 cache has been replaced. Thanks Centris for the offer to replace it but it's upkeep is totally my responsibility. It's good to hear from Moe that it probably wasn't plundered by someone other than kids. Maybe one of them can get to a computer and log it!

Oh yeah, another missing cache. World's Smallest in Hopkins.
Wayfarin Stranger
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went back to Island Lake this evening after work to see for myself if it was gone and it was. Kind of makes me look bad since I was the only one who found it.
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayfarin Stranger wrote:
Kind of makes me look bad since I was the only one who found it.

There have been a number of caches where I was the last person to visit it and the next thing I know it's trashed, or a travel bug is stolen from it. I generally don't think it's my fault, as I almost always hide caches better than how I find them. RRMateys once said (while I was hiding a cache better than I found it), "You're evil!"

In my opinion, I'm keeping the muggles away.

There have been at least two times where I've dropped off a KB travel bug and the next logger says it's not there (Colour Me and Me2). Makes me a bit paranoid that KB's gunna show up at my door sometimes. Wink

-Aaron
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 8:46 pm    Post subject: How many are really found by people out and about. Reply with quote

I know I'm new but I gotta say my view.
I've only been to about 20-25 caches and I'd even be willing to bet a few have been nabbed or trashed or stolen.

I also know for a fact that in the few that I have found that one was kids (stuff was burned with a match or lighter), one was logged by a mushroom hunter ( he said he smashed it because he was scared what was in it), and another because the lady logged that her dog pee'd on it.

I'm not kidding! I just think Its all part of the sport and I think I need to be very clever on my hides! Not just some unpainted pail behind a tree. When I put things back I always try to be a little more cleaver then the one before me.

I know this is a sore spot for you KB! I also agree that you might have somebody out there against you! But don't forget that many of these could have been seen by a unknowing party.

My view is this its a tough sport and part of the game is it is a treasure hunt and like the oldwest (did somebody steal your gold before you?) or are you going to keep hunting/hiding because a few bad cowboys are trying to play sheriff.
Heck no I'm pushing forward and finding my "gold".

The season is nice this time of year I'm sure with smart hides this will all soon pass as the summer goes on.
Irvingdog
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Kitch! Great insight, and great attitude.

Glad you are here. Bring a friend who shares your style!
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
King Boreas: You're not hurting me, you're hurting all geocachers who search for my caches...When a new cache is posted, my goal is achieved. Again, you're hurting everyone BUT me.

Queen Boreas: I disagree!

eh? Come again? What exactly is it you're disagreeing with? In the words of "the Chucker":

"and you are ??"

Quote:
Wayfarin Stranger: I went back to Island Lake this evening after work to see for myself if it was gone and it was. Kind of makes me look bad since I was the only one who found it.

Absolutely not. Your note on the cache page confirms my suspicion.

Quote:
Makes me a bit paranoid that KB's gunna show up at my door sometimes

Not to worry, Aaron. Those bugs were picked up and not logged.

Quote:
Kitch: Not just some unpainted pail behind a tree

I know this is a sore spot for you KB! I also agree that you might have somebody out there against you! But don't forget that many of these could have been seen by a unknowing party.

I'm sure with smart hides this will all soon pass ...

I have NEVER left a cache exposed. It would be IN a tree, not next to a tree. If one was next to a tree, it would be covered with bark, sticks, leaves, deer crap, ticks, whatever.

Smart hides, huh?

arrive...raise heck...leave (SCSA)
Irvingdog
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, now that I re-read that "Kitch" post, it could have been construed as dissing Boreas: and you'd better have good reason to do that! I've found lots of his caches, and have yet to find reason to take a shot at his hiding style. But I do appreciate your "lets move on" approach. I find it important to realize that it is probably a coincidence, and a cycle consistent with more people getting out into the parks, but if I'm Ian, I'm pi$$ed off that so many of my well thought out caches have walked.........

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go subscribe........
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said I'm new. Don't take me the wrong way on this issue. I am very thankful for all the hard work you have done! If it wasn't for you I wouldn't have even took a trip down to St. Peter with my Wife for the past weekend. I would have been forced to go to a different area. If you take out as many caches as you have placed the game in this area wouldn't be quite the same. Talk about a major reduction of caches in the state.

I have never been to a location of yours where I was the first one there and know it will be a long time until I will be. This means that we need to promote and educate people on being better at hiding them back In place.

I know for a fact that I need to go back to a location and make sure I hide it better then I did...(a KB site). It was my understanding that you just leave it the way you found it...I didn't know until after I found about 15 caches that you hide it better then found or at least what you think it should be.

I know this is a really sore subject but I'm trying to help by voicing a newbie view with a great attitude for the game.
Queen Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is Chucker?

I'm soon to be the new queen bee of geocaching! But from the looks of it I have a long way to go if I want to catch some of the women of the mngca!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: