MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

November 2005 COTM -- VOTE HERE

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which cache should be the November Cache of the Month?
the Stupid Rules cache by King Boreas
38%
 38%  [ 5 ]
Bridge Out by dingermcduff
30%
 30%  [ 4 ]
Silver Island Treasure by Candy Apple Green
30%
 30%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 13

Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: November 2005 COTM -- VOTE HERE Reply with quote

the Stupid Rules cache by King Boreas
Nominated by dachebo

Not so much for the location, though it does have nice views of the Mississippi River, is easy to get to, and has ample parking. (If you're like me you'll miss 2 or 3 turns on the way there, because you're too busy counting syllables for you Haiku.)
More for the fun involved in watching as it evolves into something new at every new find. It has more finder participation than others, as finders are actually helping to create the ever changing cache page.
It could be growing into more of a challenge as time goes on. So far it has pictures and poetry, and interesting tidbits about the players involved. It's your guess as to "what's next?
Perhaps KB had the Mississippi in mind when he placed this because, it'll be interesting to see which has more twists and turns....the river or the cache page.

Bridge Out by dingermcduff
Nominated by Marsha and Silent Bob

Moe and I love caching in Grand Rapids. It is probably one of the best areas to spend several days caching and not be disappointed by any of it. Moe and I had previously visited Grand Rapids for a 30+ cache day back in late April and decided that we just had to come back for a two day trip.

At the Breakfast Buddies Event in Rochester, we decided that we had to get back up there before the snow began to fall. Oneied Cooky was a late comer and certainly added to the weekend’s entertainment.

After a long Saturday of caching, cabining, and general craziness, we started back up again on Sunday morning after a hearty breakfast. Our second cache of the day was one of my most favorites ever.

The cache, unfortunately unfound in nearly a year, took advantage the extensive and beautiful Wabana Trail system and led us through nearly three miles of the blaring and gorgeous fall colors. The first stage, which was by far the most difficult, was about a mile in amongst numerous birch trees growing right next to a creek. After spending entirely too much time to find the stage we moved on while Oneied Cooky wore an antler shed on his head.

The walk between stages was pleasant and offered great views of the nearby lake. After a short uphill climb and the reading of the “Bridge Out” warnings we made our way to the final which Moe found by channeling his incredible geostud mojo. Because the cache stages were along one of the trail loops we were treated to the rest of the colorful falling leaves and changing scenery before heading back to the car.

This cache, while somewhat difficult at the first stage, is one of the most beautiful hikes through a densely wooded trail system I have taken in some time. The sharp smell of the pines and the quiet rustle of leaves under our feet really made me think back to my Scouting days hiking through the forests of Central Pennsylvania. If you are looking to take advantage of the fall colors or just a nice hike with a great cache, I seriously suggest that you check out Bridge Out by dingermcduff.

Here are a couple of photos of the cache area (hosted by Silent Bob):

http://gallery.lazylightning.org/gc-20051002/CIMG0340
http://gallery.lazylightning.org/gc-20051002/CIMG0343
http://gallery.lazylightning.org/gc-20051002/CIMG0345

Silver Island Treasure by Candy Apple Green
Nominated by King Boreas

I don't know where to begin. It's definitely in my top three, but I'm not sure what Minnesota cache (that I've found) would beat it. I had quickly read the cache page a couple times and didn't think there was much to it.

From the parking area, I thought I'll be out of here soon. HEH. A couple surprises I didn't know about or remember. (Don't wanna give anything away) I never considered NOT finishing it, but I haven't hung by a lot of ropes lately. That was a rush.

I took a bunch of photos. You can see them on the cache page. It's been years since I drove past Two Harbors, but it won't be long before I come back. It was fun and memorable. I really wish I'd hung around for awhile. On a HOT day, that little secluded beach would be mighty tempting.

Awesome. Check it out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: