MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Permission Granted for Geocaches
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fidian
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Permission Granted for Geocaches Reply with quote

I've been sending emails lately to various cities and counties in the hopes that they let me place caches in the area. I thought it would be best to share the info with everyone.

City of Andover

Placement of geocaches is allowed. People visiting parks must adhere to the City Code, Title 8, Chapter 4. ftp://ftp.andovermn.net/pdfs/Clerk/CityCode.pdf

As I get more responses, I'll post them here. Would this be good information for the guidelines page?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup.
fidian
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anoka County Parks

Off limits. "Placement of foreign objects in the park system is disallowed." Josef Gonko said that the Parks and Recreation Committee acted upon this a year and a half ago, and all known caches at that time were removed.

Ordinances are at http://www.anokacountyparks.com/qlinks/ParksOrdinance_Indexed.pdf
Chapter III, Section 4 says that you are not allowed to leave personal objects after park hours without a permit. I wonder if you can get a permit? I doubt it, but I will ask. If I have good news, I will post another reply.

Last edited by fidian on Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you say "can of worms"?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off-topic discussion has been split off and moved here: http://www.mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2085
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what KB is trying to say, is
"Don't ask, don't tell".
"Fly under the radar".
"Don't rock the boat." (KB, I feel a song coming on.)

The approvers know where is allowed, and it's listed some where on this site. MNGCA as a group have working relationships with most park boards and are increasing available parks as fast as can be expected.

Luv ya,
Liverbird, WWPP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have updated the Cache Guidelines page to include the information regarding Anoka County's ban: http://mngca.org/guidelines.php
fidian
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not list the permission for all Andover city parks? There should be good news on that page as well as bad.

Washington County Parks

Permitted, as long as you follow their rules: http://www.co.washington.mn.us/info_for_residents/parks_division/park_ordinance_and_policies/

The rules are basically saying that you need to have a parking permit, park hours are from 7:00 to 30 minutes after sunset, and make sure the cache is not in an ecologically sensitive location.
onionpond
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The City of Pelican Rapids has decided to allow Geocaching. They don't have a policy in place, but will be following the policy of the city of Duluth.
The city of Detroit Lakes has also voted to allow Geocaching, the policy was supposed to be in place by 1/18/06 but I haven't received a copy yet. Get a hold of the Park Board if you need a copy right away.

onionpond
Cache Your Way to a Better Day
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fidian wrote:
Why not list the permission for all Andover city parks? There should be good news on that page as well as bad.

Why? Because the number of areas where caching is permitted vastly outweighs the areas it is not. It is entirely too difficult to catalogue every single area where caching is allowed.
fidian
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would save the hassle for others if they had a cheat-sheet for where they could place caches. I don't intend on placing a cache in an area where I don't have permission, and having a list of places that allow it would make my life easier. Besides, do you think that the park administrations for all of the places that allow geocaching would like it if they kept getting requests to place geocaches every few months? I'd be annoyed.

Why not make a simple database or something? If you don't, then I certainly will - I think that this would be a good use of the little bit of time. Besides, it's not like you're trying to contact every park -- everyone would be and then you just type the city/county name and check a checkbox or something. Smile (Of course, I should not be telling you what your job is. I just meant to say that your involvement would be minimal.)
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It would save the hassle for others if they had a cheat-sheet for where they could place caches. I don't intend on placing a cache in an area where I don't have permission, and having a list of places that allow it would make my life easier. Besides, do you think that the park administrations for all of the places that allow geocaching would like it if they kept getting requests to place geocaches every few months? I'd be annoyed.

Why not make a simple database or something? If you don't, then I certainly will - I think that this would be a good use of the little bit of time. Besides, it's not like you're trying to contact every park -- everyone would be and then you just type the city/county name and check a checkbox or something.
What's wrong with using the guidelines page MnGCA already has here?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15Tango wrote:
What's wrong with using the guidelines page MnGCA already has here?

Nothing, but I'm not about to continually update it with all the parks that *do* allow geocaching because of the time investment required.

Alerting Minnesota geocachers to the areas where geocaching is NOT permitted is far easier IMHO. If somone wants to create their own list, I'm happy to look it over and even possibly post it. Can I put the time into the creation, management, and updates of that type of undertaking? No.
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This afternoon we lost 33 caches (to my count) in AnokaCounty. Three more just went down, one of which had been there for 4 1/2 years. It seems to me that Anoka County must not have been too upset by it, they left it alone. But now 36 are gone. Evil or Very Mad

Liverbird, WWPP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fidian
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually received a pleasant email from the guy who takes care of the Anoka county parks and it looks like permits or registration or something can be done in order to place allowed geocaches in parks. More later; I need to call him up and find out details.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: