MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Car Adapters

View previous topic :: View next topic  
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 7:16 am    Post subject: Garmin Car Adapters Reply with quote

Hi all,
I received a car cig power adapter for my GPS on my birthday this year. Cool gift, thanks Sigil!! Haven't tried it yet but was wondering - can I have regular batteries in the unit while it is plugged into the car? Does the unit pull power only from the plug-in when connected and not from the batteries?

Thanks,
towlebooth
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a bad experience with mine (I got one from Santa this past year). It sporadically blew a fuse in my car and I finally had to quit using it. I usually have my phone or CD player plugged into the lighter with never any problem so I know it was not the lighter. I even took the car to my mechanic to check it out, he thought it was a design flaw in the way their adapter fit into my lighter.

I tried it batteries in and batteries out with the same results -- Hopefully it was a quirky defect in my own adapter and will not affect yours, but just in case go buy a pack of fuses. Wink

But anyway -- when it did work it was great! Probably saved me lots of $$$ in batteries. The instructions say you can leave the batteries in and the way it works kind of depends on the fact that you have left the batteries in, since you have 20 seconds to push a button after it is disconnected to have the unit remain on and active. Plus when it was on the plug it acted just as if it had fresh batteries and gave real good strong readings.

It's a good thing to have and I still carry mine for "just in case"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my car adapter with my Garmin GPSMAP76 all the time and have had no problems with it. IMO this is an essential piece of gear I wouldn't want to do without.

Yes, you can leave the batteries in place.
jonsom
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a Garimin plug, or an aftermarket one. I bought one off E-bay (aftermarket) and use it all the time. I always have batteries in my GPS, but anytime I am in the vehicle I plug it in. There have been times where my GPS has been on and plugged in for a whole week. I also plug it in to my boat when I go fishing, and it works great.
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is a Garmin plug -- purchased at Sportsman's Warehouse in Anoka. I hook it onto my Legend. I am beginning to think maybe mine is just defective or something -- nobody else has had this problem Sad Bummer!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bummer for the rest of us!! Worked great all weekend - to Eastern WI and back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: