MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to pocket query to PC?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: How to pocket query to PC? Reply with quote

I don't have a hand held any thing, well the gps and cell phone. I would like to pocket query in MS Excell or Corel Quatro Pro. Then I could just spread sheet it and print one page for the day. Any ideas or input greatfully accecpted.

Thank you, WWPP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know other people don't like it, but geocaching swiss army knife can do it.

http://www.gsak.net/

I don't have it installed at work, but I'll post a how-to this evening.
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually it looks like I found the info anyways through the gsak faq.

13. I would love to be able to generate an Excel spread sheet of all my data. Is there anyway I can do this?

1. Create a view (Tools=>Options=>Display) of all the columns you would like in Excel (don't forget you can save and restore views)
2. Do a print preview (File=>Print), selecting the grid option and make sure you check the "replace graphics with text" box.
3. Open the generated HTML file in Excel.

You now have an Excel file (you may want to Save As... a native xls file) that you can play with or use to interface with many other software utilities.
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh you are a sweety. It's nice to see a lot of the old gang is still here. I've just got Swiss army knife installed and starting to explore. Thank you so much, now don't loose your job over this. get back to work.

Katey, WWPP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heck it's dead here today at work (all the bosses are away on vacation). Post away if you have any questions on it (gsak can look a bit daunting, but once you get used to it, I've found it to be a big time saver).
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh that's cool. I see I don't need to put it in a spred sheet, I can use this one. Also, I found my data cable for my GPS so I can just upload them in. Wow, I'm almost as efficient as you guys now.

Thank you, WWPP Katey
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far so good. I've created and recieved a query. Got the spread sheet, exported it to Map Send, (my map program of choice for this,) and I am waiting for my gps to delte all old way points to make room for these so I can try uploading directly to gps. Next I need to see if I can crate a query of a route, rather that and area. And, can I combine 2 GASK files. I've looked through the help but can't find any thing on this one. Any ideas? Laughing Very Happy Laughing
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, it did it! Laughing I'm so happy. No more entering coord's by hand. Well, not so much any way. I couldn't find a way to query a route, so I'm thinking they query a 5 or 10 mile radius every 5 miles or so down the road so that they get over lapping results, and then combine the data base (spread sheets). Now I need to see how to do that. I'm sure theres a way, I just have to find it. My gps allows 500 waypoints, but that gets me 38 mile radius. It does not cover the cities. I need a corridoor, not a circle.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSAK allows you to do a filter where you can filter based on the proximity to a line. The line can be established with points by either lat/long, existing geocaches, or a couple of other things I think. If you're doing a route along a freeway you can pick rest stop caches as your points and then a 5-mile radius from that line (or whatever distance you choose).

I've never actually TRIED the feature, so I'm not sure how well it works in the real world.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I'll try it. Thanks for the hint.

WWPP Katey
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I figured it out. Thanks, Kcogrn and Pear Head. I can now filter along a line or a line of points and I even figured out how to combine 2 data files to one spread sheet. I haven't lost my touch after all. Thanks guys. Katey WWPP
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it's worked out for ya Wickets. I took GSAK along on my last roap trip via a laptop, considering I had spotty internet service at best, it was handy to have a few hundred caches along the route loaded up.

Welcome back! Good to see you're still in the game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: