MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Geocaching Story in Alexandria, MN

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LanceVE
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 9:55 am    Post subject: Geocaching Story in Alexandria, MN Reply with quote

From an article in Alexandria Echo Press (about a cache by 'US 5 CAMP')

It looks like a success story of where someone who stumbled over an ammo can and didn't call the bomb squad but actually found the website instead.

I wouldn't call it the greatest article, but it is more positive than anything else:
Quote:

Itís a game called geocaching, in which people use a global positioning system (GPS) device to search for a "cache," or the boxes full of little trinkets.

Each container, including the ones found around here, are merely game pieces that enthusiasts can search for.

They base their exploration from the Web site "www.geocaching.com."

At that site, users can obtain the coordinates of caches hidden all over the country. Armed with that information, they set out looking for the containers.

The game is driven by individuals who hide the caches and share the coordinates on the geocaching Web site. The only rule of the game is to take something, leave something and write in the logbook.

In addition, people are urged not to put any explosives, ammo, drugs or alcohol in the cache, which can be hidden almost anywhere ó on mountains, in fields or under water, just to name a few.

So if you see people acting strangely and following the lead of an electronic device, donít worry, they are probably just geocaching.

(emphasis added by me)
Unfortunatley, it seems that they didn't even try to contact the cache owner (per this thread on the national forums) before doing the article
Jillibean
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to hear that the information we put in caches explaining what the sport is, is really effective. This person sounded interested in the sport. I wonder if any geocachers actually get their start from stumbling across caches like this?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Media Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: