MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mapquest, Hints, and Spoiler photos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 12:54 am    Post subject: Mapquest, Hints, and Spoiler photos Reply with quote

FYI:

I know a 16 year-old kid who is going geocaching this Sunday at Como. He is a VERY avid Medallion hunter. He does not give up easily. He does not have a GPSr. He IS honest and trustworthy. He's asked me about 'caching "protocol".

My point here is that some of us are giving away too much information. Zoom the map to "10", make note of any hints or logs, look over the photos, and you're gonna be very close.

Of course I don't know, but it could be what happened to the Bugport, Wild Times, and a whole bunch of mine. I'm thinking about offering 'hints' by e-mail request. At least you'll know it's a registered user.

Any comments?

arrive...raise heck...leave (SCSA)
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a great idea--at Infantry school, I had 3 hours to find 5 points in Dog knows how big an area (at least 10X10 klicks, through wait-a-minute vines, kudzu, 19ft. deep draws that don't show up on a map with a 10-meter contour interval, etc.), all with a map and compass, and an 8 digit grid for each point (convert the lat/lon to MGRS in your GPSr, and you get a 10 digit grid, or 1 meter accuracy compared to 10 meter accuracy). So, this pastime can be conducted quite effectively without a GPSr, and anybody can look at caches without being logged in, and being a semi-paranoid S-2 type, I think emailing for hints is a good idea. Still, if someone is looking at the site just to be malicious, quite a bit of work is involved in looking up a particular cache, plotting it on a map, and crawling their way througn mosquito, tick, ice, poison ivy, sticker bush, etc. infested bush just to sh-- in an ammo box, but there are a lot of people out there with too much time on their hands. As long as we're on the topic, can you, KB, personally email me a little help with your two caches near the Lake/Marshall Street Bridge?
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have your e-mail here at work. I'm going to check on the 'hard' one today @ 11:00 am (if anyone wants to spy on me). I'll send a hint on the other when I get home.

arrive...raise heck...leave (SCSA)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: