MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The President's Cacheside Chat (November 2005)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> President's Cacheside Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: The President's Cacheside Chat (November 2005) Reply with quote

Based on a friendly off-forum exchange with ice tres, Iíve decided to move ahead with my promise of keeping the Membership updated with the dealings of the Board by posting a monthly article about what we are doing with our donated time. There will be no set date for this article to be printed and it will likely depend on the timeline of our work in various arenas.

Iím going to leave this particular thread open to comment and see how it goes. I am interested in feedback but Iím not about to tolerate the usual grief and aggravation that comes with topics that may be discussed here. If all goes well, itís likely that future posts of this nature will remain open, and out of that I expect that some constructive and interesting comments will eventually build into some concrete and worthwhile motions. That said:

Up until this point, the Board has been active in many facets of typical and mundane tasks of starting a new session. Iím not about to bore you with the everyday business details but I will say that weíre continuing our work to make this association run better in the future and envision smooth changeovers lead by detailed documentation and prior knowledge. These smooth handoffs will enable future MnGCA Board iterations the ability to hit the ground running and not have to worry too much about how, where, and why.

We have begun work on new and exciting things to make good on my promise to continue to have this association lead all others in the nation and by the finest example of a strong local caching community. Some of the things we have done so far:

1. Due to the nature of our activity and the in and out nature of our players, we discussed and implemented changes to purge our voter roles of those that might have become uninterested in continued participation. This will remain an automated yearly process beginning this May.

2. Based on some previous discussion and the positive response that other geocaching organizations have received, we went about creating a system to receive and process calendar image submissions which will eventually become the 2006 MnGCA Calendar available on Cafepress to anyone. Submissions for this close on 11/9 and voting on the individual images to be used should begin shortly after that. These should be ready for 2005 Holiday ordering!

3. Because of our desire to offer local park districts the most updated and informative data we could have available to us, we enlisted the assistance of rickrich, EarlyStarts, and proton to supply us with state-wide GPXs going back as far as we could which include all logs. By utilizing rickrichís time-saving scripts we were provided with the specific numbers we needed. We thank all those that were involved for their help. The data will be crucial to our growing efforts in our park district negotiations.

4. Looking to prepare for our future DNR discussions and planning, soon after taking office, I contacted Marlene at the Three Rivers Parks District with an offer to revise their current policy and make it more cacher and park district friendly. We have already provided them with a proposed policy very similar to that of our own Duluth policy and will be presenting it to them in mid-November.

5. Weíve been brainstorming ideas on how we should approach the DNR and what our proposed policy should be like. Obviously, itís likely that our direction and ideas will change based upon the lessons learned from the final outcome of our Three Rivers talks.

6. Based on the success of the Geocoin Committee and my commitment to the association to have more committee based participation in the organization, we came up with and posted a call for the creation of a Spring Event committee to prepare, plan, and carry out the Spring Event in 2006. Sadly, as of yet, not a single person has stepped forward to join the committee.

With that, I open this thread to comments on the above. If you have any questions, comments, or concerns feel free to voice them below.

Happy cachiní,

Silent Bob
MnGCA President

edit to remove sticky

Last edited by Marsha and Silent Bob on Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
ice tres
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know if you need "warm bodies" for any of your presentations. Cool
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you clarify #3? I assume that means you are collecting data on the number of visits each cache sees in order to give park authorities some feeling for the amount of traffic caches will draw. Is that correct?
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Nice Summary Reply with quote

Very nice summary of what's going on, thank you. SB is now allowed to ignore my posting on the DNR thread all he likes Wink

*goes back to work wishing he was caching...that or relaxing with beer...either works Smile *

Celticwulf
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
3. Because of our desire to offer local park districts the most updated and informative data we could have available to us, we enlisted the assistance of rickrich, EarlyStarts, and proton to supply us with state-wide GPXs going back as far as we could which include all logs. By utilizing rickrichís time-saving scripts we were provided with the specific numbers we needed. We thank all those that were involved for their help. The data will be crucial to our growing efforts in our park district negotiations.

Moe the Sleaze wrote:
Could you clarify #3? I assume that means you are collecting data on the number of visits each cache sees in order to give park authorities some feeling for the amount of traffic caches will draw. Is that correct?

Correct, we are using the data to show cache traffic patterns while also being able to show the total number of active profile names and total cache statistics in various regions (i.e. metro or statewide).
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The President's Cacheside Chat (November 2005)

Who's your speech writer?

JK

Would Cleary Lake work for the Spring Event?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
Would Cleary Lake work for the Spring Event?

The Committee Charter Arrow http://www.mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=19268#19268 leaves open the possibility for any location other than DNR controlled parks. I don't see any reason why Cleary Lake shouldn't be considered.
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleary Lake won't work with dogs!
Quote:
Came with Minnesota and nonlinear-kelsey. Found cache #1. But then Park Ranger said "No Dogs Allowed", even if she was on leash. So I left. We can find better places than this,
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickrich wrote:
Cleary Lake won't work with dogs!

Why not?

Quote:
Hiking/Dog trail (1.1 miles) - This turf trail runs along the park's northern border. Dog-walkers are required to keep their dogs on leashes no longer than 6 feet and must clean up after the pets. Dogs must not be allowed to interfere with other trail users. Violators will be fined.

Dog Off-leash Area- This 28 acre dog off-leash area provides opportunities for dog-owners to exercise their dogs. The area is fenced and has a wetland pond. An annual or daily pass is required. Daily permits are available at the park; for an annual permit, click here.

rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't ask me. Park Ranger said so. Minnesota was there, too. Kelsey was on a leash.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickrich wrote:
Don't ask me. Park Ranger said so. Minnesota was there, too. Kelsey was on a leash.

Perhaps you are only permitted to have dogs in those two specific areas?
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The President's Cacheside Chat (November 2005) Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
6. Based on the success of the Geocoin Committee and my commitment to the association to have more committee based participation in the organization, we came up with and posted a call for the creation of a Spring Event committee to prepare, plan, and carry out the Spring Event in 2006. Sadly, as of yet, not a single person has stepped forward to join the committee.

Where is the post on that, I didn't see it in the events or general sections.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The President's Cacheside Chat (November 2005) Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:

Where is the post on that, I didn't see it in the events or general sections.

http://www.mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=19268#19268
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> President's Cacheside Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: