MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Groundspeak Cache Placement Guidelines Updated

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Groundspeak Cache Placement Guidelines Updated Reply with quote

Has this been discussed somewhere- the changes and new guidelines as of yesterday?

"Earthcaches are now on the waymarking site only. Go to the create a cache
> page. Pull up a submission page. Virtuals, webcams and earthcaches have
> been moved. The guidelines were changed yesterday as well.">

That means that earth caches- etc- are now not countable as "finds"? Which means the only things going into MN State parks are not countable as a find?

Correct me if I am wrong- hopefully I am-

Edit subject by SB
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From: http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=112949

Quote:
The primary need for a guidelines update was because of waymarking.com's soft rollout yesterday. The main change was to add a new section at the end of the Guidelines to deal with cache types that are no longer available for new cache submissions. Everything about locationless, virtuals, webcams and earthcaches now appears in a new section, called "Guidelines that Apply to Grandfathered Cache Types."

Among other things: (1) the maintenance requirements for existing grandfathered caches remain in effect; (2) it's made clear that all locationless caches will be archived and locked at the end of this year; and (3) the present plan for existing virtuals and webcams to remain on the geocaching.com site as "grandfathered" is stated. Note: the text says "Caches which existed before August of 2005 have been allowed to remain as grandfathered caches." This was accurate when Hydee and I were writing the new draft in August, but to match reality, the sentence needs to be changed to read "November of 2005." Sorry for any confusion on that.

There were other changes and clarifications unrelated to the waymarking.com rollout, but these were minor in comparison.

As far as Earthcaches go, from: http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

Quote:
Earthcaches

An Earthcache is an educational virtual cache or physical site that people can visit to view a unique geoscience feature on-the-ground. Note, this cache type is no longer available, for details on existing EarthCaches please see the information on Grandfathered Cache Types below.

All Earthcaches were submitted and approved through the Geological Society of America. Detailed information on Earthcaches may be found on the Earthcache.org website.

So, you are correct eagleyes, they are no longer allowing new Earthcaches on geocaching.com.
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK- that is what I thought- thanks for the clarification. So the basically means that as of these new changes- we can no longer get "countable caches which add to our "find" number" in MN state Parks? At least before these changes Earthcaches were allowed.

This is actually funny in a way- because it now all switches to Waymarking- in which we have no interest and no permission is needed-

I had applied for permission to put an earth cache in a state park. I was turned down because, the park superintendent thought it the traffic from geocachers would degrade the geological feature- like he said- people might want to take hunks of it because the rock is so unique.

Ok- here is the kicker - I know from personal experience and knowledge that UMD geology field trips have stopped at this points at least since the 1950- at least 2 trips a year- with a bus or van load of students. It is written up in just about every geological text book and geological guide book that there is because of its uniqueness. As far as I can see there has been no destruction of this rock. So I apply for a earth cache to rbing a handful of people there and am turned down. Go figure.

So now if a person is into waymarking- someone can waypoint this rock, people will come and the park has no say so in the matter- in fact you can get to the site without going on park property- but once you leave the car and walk off the road onto the rock you are in the park"

I would think that waymarking would be the way to go for people who don't like rules- but you don't get numbers either.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagleyes wrote:

This is actually funny in a way- because it now all switches to Waymarking- in which we have no interest and no permission is needed-

Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: