MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Duluth Park Trails

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmnrec
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Duluth Park Trails Reply with quote

Recently, a cache was planted on the Chester Park trail in Duluth which has created some controversy.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=b30a9e07-323a-4906-968f-91de7c347e31

I was asked why the parks department does not have a safety fence along the trail...here is the response I received when I contacted the city employee in charge of the trails:

Erin,
The Chester hiking trail and its "drop offs" have been in existence for 80+ years. Wouldn't all of our trails look great if we fenced them in and made them "perfectly safe"? Assumed risks for recreational activities, money and aesthetics are the likely reasons why.

To let everyone know, there have been deaths on this trail as well as others. About all of them involved intoxicated young men taking the trails in the dark. If you access this cache, or others in the light and in dry conditions, you should be pretty safe...just know your limitations...
Thanks,
Erin
HugoBear
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Not Handicapped Accessable"

I love the fact you can add that extra warning to those who might not have got the point from the logs. Wish I could have seen those before they came down. Sounded entertaining. Twisted Evil
-Douglas Adams "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Duluth Park Trails Reply with quote

dmnrec wrote:

To let everyone know, there have been deaths on this trail as well as others. About all of them involved intoxicated young men taking the trails in the dark.

Laughing Sounds like a self-correcting disease to me.
dmnrec
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Duluth Park Trails Reply with quote

towlebooth wrote:
dmnrec wrote:

To let everyone know, there have been deaths on this trail as well as others. About all of them involved intoxicated young men taking the trails in the dark.

Laughing Sounds like a self-correcting disease to me.

I've asked a couple of my staff that go to UMD and found out that this is pretty common (some of them have done it)...the police are on the roads, not the trails...pretty scary
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been on these trails after dark. You have to REALLY be paying attention to navigate them. Mix in a little alcohol and it would be easy to take a wrong turn. A wrong turn on these trails is not quite STRAIGHT down, but it's down fast enough that you would need to be quite sober to stop the fall, if you were lucky.

I've also been on other trails in the dark - the SHT is one. There is a 100/50 mile foot race that is run on the SHT every year in the fall. These are people that RUN the race (jog is more accurate) from start to finish. They go at night. In the rain. Many many many continuous hours.

For those familiar with the SHT, you know that this is a tough trail to navigate during the day when you had a good day's rest the night before. Try running 50+ miles, at night, in the rain.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dmnrec
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Adventure Duluth event is another all day event that ends in FDL...the organizers tell participants that they are not responsible for their safety after dusk if they stay on the trails..finish at their own risk...and many do.
HugoBear
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
I've been on these trails after dark. You have to REALLY be paying attention to navigate them. Mix in a little alcohol and it would be easy to take a wrong turn. A wrong turn on these trails is not quite STRAIGHT down, but it's down fast enough that you would need to be quite sober to stop the fall, if you were lucky.

I've also been on other trails in the dark - the SHT is one. There is a 100/50 mile foot race that is run on the SHT every year in the fall. These are people that RUN the race (jog is more accurate) from start to finish. They go at night. In the rain. Many many many continuous hours.

For those familiar with the SHT, you know that this is a tough trail to navigate during the day when you had a good day's rest the night before. Try running 50+ miles, at night, in the rain.

That trail really is "The SHT"?.... Rolling Eyes

just kidding folks...
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HugoBear wrote:

Superior Hiking Trail, yes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dmnrec
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
HugoBear wrote:

Superior Hiking Trail, yes.

I could be wrong, but I thought officially it is the Lake Superior Hiking Trail, LSHT
dmnrec
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind, I was wrong..a direct quote off their website:

SHTA is building 40 miles of new trail in Duluth in 2004 - 2006. Please click on SHT in Duluth to get information about this project!!

Laughing Laughing Laughing
HugoBear
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sorry*

Last edited by HugoBear on Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HugoBear wrote:
I click on SHT all day... I guess I can go click on SHT in Duluth too.

Enough.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: