MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unsafe daytime caches areas?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Twin Cities Metro Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Unsafe daytime caches areas? Reply with quote

The Bird Dog decided that we are caching in the Cities tomorrow- after reading the warnings about night caches in the Cities, I am wondering if there are any unsafe or potentially unsafe areas in the Cities that a couple of country bumpkins should avoid?
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bum sleeping in cave near Crosby Lake in Crosby Farm Park. Didn't wake up.
15Tango
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

North of Lake Street Bridge on the St. Paul side--I don't know if the Ringbone cache is still there or not--there seems to always be people in that area that could make one feel uncomfortable.
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are exceptions to the rule. Caching is quite safe in the metro. It's driving here that is dangerous. Laughing
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

15Tango wrote:
North of Lake Street Bridge on the St. Paul side--I don't know if the Ringbone cache is still there or not--there seems to always be people in that area that could make one feel uncomfortable.

That cache has been archived for that reason.

I personally do not know of any caches that are unsafe for daytime in the Twin Cities.

-Aaron
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I personally do not know of any caches that are unsafe for daytime in the Twin Cities.

I'm not sure......which ones...but I'm sure there is a number of caches out there that females would consider them not to be safe. (when alone)
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can think of several areas in the Twin Cities where I wouldn't go by myself, even during the daytime.
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can think of several areas in the Twin Cities where I wouldn't go by myself, even during the daytime.

A list of those areas might be helpful to the person seeking the information on what places to avoid. Wink
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I consider myself to be fairly fearless when it comes to going where I want to, when I want to. I have a blackbelt in judo, which I haven't had to use to protect myself, thankfully. But I don't consider myself foolhardy enough to think that I won't be putting myself in danger if I go to certain known troublesome areas by myself. Thankfully, most caches aren't hidden in those types of places. My "careful areas" include the following.

I tend to avoid the Swede Hollow area if I'm by myself... I realize that the Dayton's Bluff neighborhood is becoming safer, but there are still unsavory types who roam in that park, mostly by night, but sometimes by day.

I also tend to avoid wooded areas that're near industrial areas, or near railroad yards. One cache I visited was in some woods that seemed to have been taken over by transients. I'd have to go over my "caches found" list to pinpoint the area again (it was somewhere in or near Fridley, near a railroad yard by the river) but I believe that one was archived some time back.

I visited a couple of parks in a near northern suburb of Minneapolis recently, and at one of them I was mouthed off to by a group of teens who didn't appear to mean me any personal bodily harm, but that sort of thing can be discomfiting nonetheless.

I work in downtown Minneapolis and do a lot of walking down there by myself during the daytime, but there are plenty of places nearer to the river itself that should be avoided if you don't want to happen upon people having anonymous amorous encounters.

I am pretty careful about doing a bit of research before visiting caches in urban areas that I'm not familiar with if I'm going by myself-- which is usually the case.

Safety issues, for me, encompass more than just the people factor. I'm *much* more worried about possibly falling down a steep hill or tumbling down loose rocks.
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzzygirl wrote:

I tend to avoid the Swede Hollow area if I'm by myself... I realize that the Dayton's Bluff neighborhood is becoming safer, but there are still unsavory types who roam in that park, mostly by night, but sometimes by day.

Great opportunity to clean up the park and visit it in a group this Saturday:
Arrow Help Those Dirty Swedes CITO.
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that... I would like to join the efforts, but I've already committed to staffing our observatory for Astronomy Day activities. Have fun!
fsu*noles
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually think the unexpected can happen anywhere, so no matter what everyone should keep their heads up and be aware.

Last summer I was at a cache that was 100 feet from Highway 494 and 200 feet off the Luce Line in Minnetonka. It *should* have been a pretty safe area one would think, but if something had happened there the highway noise would have covered it and nobody woulda known even that close to the trail. I remember having a bad feeling at the cache - the area looked lived-in, but was thankfully empty when I was there. Well maybe a week later another cacher had a potentially VERY dangerous encounter there with a homeless person bearing a weapon - the cache has been archived, but I would have thought any location in Mtka would have been ok. Taught me a lesson for sure...I pay a LOT more attention to my surroundings now! Not trying to freak anyone out, but it is one cache I'll never forget because I consider it a pretty close call for me...

-Ken
fireman121
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at Sunny Acres Park in Anoka yesterday, Found a guy sleeping in the park at 3 PM, notified the Anoka PD and they removed this person from the park, also there was a school nearby also, the officer thanked me for getting involved.

Fireman121
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fireman121 wrote:
I was at Sunny Acres Park in Anoka yesterday, Found a guy sleeping in the park at 3 PM, notified the Anoka PD and they removed this person from the park, also there was a school nearby also, the officer thanked me for getting involved.

Fireman121

It's illegal to take a nap in a park?
HugoBear
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He didn't say arrested, jut moved.
-Douglas Adams "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Twin Cities Metro Area All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: