MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WeekNIGHT Caching: November 2nd, 2005; 8pm
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
catering chef
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: WeekNIGHT Caching: November 2nd, 2005; 8pm Reply with quote

Ok, now that we are into day-light savings time again. Lets start planning week nite caching runs. Pick a date and a place. Twisted Evil

edit by SB to change subject
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Its that time again-week nite caching Reply with quote

catering chef wrote:
Ok, now that we are into day-light savings time again. Lets start planning week nite caching runs. Pick a date and a place. Twisted Evil

I went through the list of new caches and the only one that I saw that hasn't been found a lot is:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=a16521e0-a6ae-442f-a970-d68e5effd87b

That cache is only 143 ft?!? from the first stage of http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=9e2d038c-ec9f-4018-bff9-c420a4c1d1a0

Then we could head over to any number of places nearby but my personal favorite is Applebee's in Rosemount (right off of 42 in the same shopping center as Cub) because after 9pm they have $1 beers.

Wednesday November 3rd, 2005 at 8pm meet at Poole's # 1 by vfwdartman (GCPWQJ) (first link above), then for those that haven't done Poole's #3 by vfwdartman (GCR3M5), do that and then head to Applebees (if you want).

The rule for this year is that the last finder on the first cache has to pick the next week's WeekNIGHT Caching location/time.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That cache is only 143 ft?!?

wtf? are there huge ravines, or a rover?
RubberToes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
Quote:

There was a mixup on the coords when that cache was first published. I tried to find it right out of the box, but the originally published coords placed it down the street and in somebody's back yard. That would have been at least 528 feet away.
HugoBear
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe someone found a sneaky way to get caches placed closer together...

1. Set really bad coords that make it look farther away.
2. approval
3. Apologize and correct coords.
4. Snicker mightily...

That could work. Rolling Eyes Wink
-Douglas Adams "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is planning on coming please let us know. We will only wait till about 8:10 before heading off to the first cache.
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
Quote:

Hockey rink. On the inside Wink
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry,

Can't attend this week? But I might get some night caching in while on travel? Very Happy
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: hmmm... Reply with quote

OK, silly new guy question here: not sure if I'll be wandering along, but how does this work? Does everyone meet in the parking lot then goes as a group and trys to find it, or does everyone show up solo and tries to be sneaky finding it before everyone else? And if it is big group, how's that work?

Just getting a bit confused...but that seems normal for me at the moment Wink

Celticwulf

<edit> just noticed the post times are off, no autoupdate for daylight savings? <edit>
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: hmmm... Reply with quote

celticwulf wrote:
OK, silly new guy question here: not sure if I'll be wandering along, but how does this work? Does everyone meet in the parking lot then goes as a group and trys to find it, or does everyone show up solo and tries to be sneaky finding it before everyone else? And if it is big group, how's that work?

We show up in the parking lot and go after it as a group but generally when you spot it (or think you do) you just wander off about 25 feet away and silently (or tauntingly) wait for the others to find it.

Quote:
<edit> just noticed the post times are off, no autoupdate for daylight savings? <edit>

It doesn't update user profiles but the system settings are correct. Edit your profile here: http://www.mngca.org/forum/profile.php?mode=editprofile and you'll be able to change it back to GMT-6
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed OK, fixed time now (wow do I feel stupid)...

OK, just didn't quite understand how it would work...still not certain I'll show up, but it does sound like fun so there is potential...

although I still personally like the Granite City up in Eagan best for after Wink

Celticwulf
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

celticwulf wrote:
although I still personally like the Granite City up in Eagan best for after Wink

Find the first cache last and it's all you for next week's pick Wink
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granite City is nice. And they brew a couple of good beers. But they are not cheep.

As far as not understanding? It's simple really,

We approach as a group, usually telling geocaching stories or other war stories. Once we get on site we all search as individuals, which sometimes is funny as you trip over each other. But night caching brings it's own challenges, especially in the woods. Once you spot it you walk away and wait. After a while someone will say did everyone find it? If all is yes, then you pull it out and sign it. If no, the real taunting begins. Once signed you either go to the next or go to drink.

Well worth the hour or two for the comradarie.
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, with thier mug club membership, the beer is really cheap ($3 for 25 oz anytime, happy hour prices and after 9pm $2.50 for the 25 oz) at Granite City. Yeah, the membership is spendy I guess ($20 for lifetime), but just shifting from Old Chicago to Granite City I've saved way more than that in a month on beer alone Wink

And yeah, the "last to find picks next" is the one worry I have, but we'll see, from talking this weekend it does sound like fun.

Celticwulf
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

celticwulf wrote:
And yeah, the "last to find picks next" is the one worry I have, but we'll see, from talking this weekend it does sound like fun.

It's better than last year... The last one to find the cache had to buy the first round! Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: