MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Winter COTM

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What should be done with the COTM over the winter?
Continue have a COTM each month
80%
 80%  [ 12 ]
Have a Cache of the Season as described
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
Place COTM on hold for Dec, Jan, and Feb
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Other (please describe)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 15

Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Winter COTM Reply with quote

Because winter is typically a slower time for caching, I want to see what others think about combining COTM for January, February, & March. The March COTM (posted on March 1) would then be referred to as the Winter '05-'06 COTS (cache of the season).

Ideas?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the regulars around here don't slow down that much in the winter. The last couple of years, it seems like I "hibernate" from about Thanksgiving until after X-mas, but then I'm caching like normal in Jan. and Feb. In fact, I started caching in January, and if I would've started in the summer with the bugs, weeds, sticker bushes, etc., I probably wouldn't have taken to the sport like I have. In fact, there's a few people that mainly cache in the dark and cold half of the year.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy caching in the winter as well. The problem I run into is the depth of snow. The farther south you get the easier it gets... I see your point though - thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually opposite of your suggestion Pear Head. I don't cache much from June until September and then hit it hard all winter long.

I'll have a write up to you this week Smile
jrest
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only started doing this caching thing in March. Since it sounds like there are those that carry on during the winter, how hard do you scratch around for these things in the snow? Do you typically go after the "winter friendly" caches... (This is off topic I think), except that I plan on continuing with the adventure and going round n' round through the winter, and will wait to see how this goes during the winter months.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrest wrote:
I only started doing this caching thing in March. Since it sounds like there are those that carry on during the winter, how hard do you scratch around for these things in the snow? Do you typically go after the "winter friendly" caches... (This is off topic I think), except that I plan on continuing with the adventure and going round n' round through the winter, and will wait to see how this goes during the winter months.

http://www.mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9992#9992

I dig fairly hard Wink
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://img.groundspeak.com/cache/log/6a2173fa-f3d9-4607-9ab2-1318677b73ac.jpg
jrest
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickrich, maybe that is the trick for the winter hides or any hide, give the hound the scent of a cache, and you're off and running. I gotta try that, might help me with some micro's hidden around Wink
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Storm at a winter cache in/near Hibbing. Good dog!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: