MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Logged in to view cache locations?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GPSr
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Logged in to view cache locations? Reply with quote

I see TPTB added a new item to cache pages:

You must be logged in to
view the Location Information
for this Cache. It's free!

What's are they up to now, selling valid email addresses?
pto
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read about it on the gc.com forums http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=111467

Where Jeremy says
Quote:
That is one benefit, but it has also been designed to combat the increased scraping abuse that we've had on the web site.

uh-huh......[/i]
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is 100% a lie. What's to stop a potential scraper from making an account? Or 50 of them?

I hate liars, and I hate Jeremy because he's full of them.

-Aaron
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pto wrote:
Where Jeremy says
Quote:
That is one benefit, but it has also been designed to combat the increased scraping abuse that we've had on the web site.

For clarification, Jeremy is responding to this:

Quote:
That's a good step in the right direction. It used to be anyone can look up a cache without any kind of account. It also gurantees that our local cache maggot has an account now. That's a start.

It may be a way to track people that steal caches (as opposed to having to make them members-only to see who looks at the page).

If you are a valid user, who cares if you view a cache page or not? It may cut down on the number of new people coming in as they may not go through the bother of creating a gc.com account before they hunt, so they won't hunt, so they'll miss out on the fun.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: