MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Woman found in Hartley using GPS technology

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmnrec
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:49 am    Post subject: Woman found in Hartley using GPS technology Reply with quote

From what I heard, more 9-1-1 systems are using GPS technology to find people:

http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsuperior/news/local/12804325.htm
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what I want to know is whether or not the GPS coords are displayed to the user?
HugoBear
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The E911 technology in cell phones (newer ones, anyway) is quite varied. From what I read on the net, they either triangulate the position with towers or there is some kind of crude GPSr in the phone that works in conjunction with the tower signals. Either way, the phone acts as a position for rescue services to home in on.
JT
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickrich wrote:
But what I want to know is whether or not the GPS coords are displayed to the user?

Usually this information is not displayed to the user, it is just passed on to the dispatch center using E911 or enhanced 911. Info here http://www.fcc.gov/911/enhanced/

The new phones actually have a GPS reciever in them and are able to transmit the info to the dispatch center. Pretty usefull if someone is unable to speak, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RINO SHAWN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JT Wrote:
Quote:
The new phones actually have a GPS reciever in them and are able to transmit the info to the dispatch center. Pretty usefull if someone is unable to speak, etc.

If the phones already have the GPS recievers in them, wouldn't it be nice if they just included a display for it........Hmmmm....GPS with my cell phone..... I wouldn't feel so foolish if I had to "pretend" my GPSr was a cell phone when muggles are walking by (I actually did that once) Embarassed
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I don't claim to be an expert, I believe that the phones have the receivers in them but are not able to output a position on their own - they require resources not built in to them. A position can be obtained using the phone and the resources provided by the cellular provider.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bird Dog agrees with PH- he said he thought it was legislated in a few years ago that cell phones had to have gps capability or whatever-
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And as a creepy bonus if you have a Nextel phone, let's say as a company phone... in theory your company can install a piece of software that will show them where all their phones are, courtesy of GPS technology. Of course as a phone user you have no idea your boss is spying on your location. Nextels will give you a very crude GPS reading as well. It takes it forever to tell you... and it only takes one "snapshot" reading of where you are. And did I mention that annoying noise they make for the walkie talkies that was in their commercials forever? Yeah, I just LOVE my Nextel.
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm- this is starting to sound familiar- haven't we discussed this aspect previously?
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
12. How to use the external display on iDEN i730/i830 phone?

(i730/i830/i860 only) To use the external display: with AccuTracking running, close the phone flip, press the menu button (the button with the small square on it) until you see the external screen reads 'AccuTracking', then press the 'speak on/off' button.

http://www.accutracking.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Non Geocaching All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: