MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best places to launch TB's
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HugoBear wrote:
We need a fact finding mission to Maui to do more research. Can MnGCA pay? Cool

I wish! Smile
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, being that we can't winter now on the gulf shores as planned, Hawaii is on the list of "maybe" places- As in the last few years, wherever we go, I will move as many bugs out of MN as I can. I agree they tend to float around the area. One nice thing about our Ely caches is that I get bugs moved out fast because the majority of our cache logs are from people from outstate. I have had new bugs go from Ely to BC, Canada, and one went from Ely to Maryland in one step. At times I have 2 or 3 bugs in one cache- but they go quickly. This is a good area for bugs to travel- June through September.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess that bugs moved to Hawaii (especially the smaller islands) probably don't stick around that much. Too many tourists in and out and not enough caches to sustain the island's cacher community.
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think this is off topic- and I am not a shallow feeling person- but this topic has started me thinking how many caches and bugs perished in the storms that hit the Gulf states- how those storms affected so many things and people.
HugoBear
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's been a lot of discussion about this over at groundspeak.
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh- I don't go there-
HugoBear
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thing. This forum is much nicer. Very Happy

The jist of what was discussed over there is this: lots of hurt / missing people, cachers included. Lots or damaged / missing cache locations. General gnashing of teeth. Nobody agrees on what to do about any of it.
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to travel bug topic-
celticwulf
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: hmmm... Reply with quote

Well, I hadn't really started checking out the forums when I picked up my first travel bug (first day caching), so when I got back to my computer with it, the first thing I noticed was a travel bug hotel over by MSP. Since it was close, along with two other caches, we ran over to find a few and drop the bug. Once I started reading about how "bad" they are for bugs, I started getting worried, but since I also put the hotel on my watchlist, I felt good this week that the bug I put there has moved along.

My current thought on the hotels are that, if I start my own bug, I'm going to start it in a normal cache around the area (probably one of Paklid's Alphabet Wink ) but I won't mind if it hits a hotel, because it will probably move out of state from there. And since the hotel is currently on my watchlist, if I see an interesting travel bug hit that hotel from out of state, I may just wander over and grab it to move it around the area. I agree it's not the greatest location I've found so far, but it's something extra to do that is entertaining for some.

Just my two cents Smile

Celticwulf
HugoBear
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that 3 of the 4 I released went right to the alphabet caches. I need to get on the ball and check them out!
-Douglas Adams "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"
fsu*noles
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: hmmm... Reply with quote

celticwulf wrote:
Once I started reading about how "bad" they are for bugs...

Argh, can someone please tell me again why they think TB Hotels are "Bad" for bugs??

I agree, TB Hotels are not always the "best" or most "fun" caches if you're looking for an adventure or a cool spot you've never been to before. But that's not their main purpose! Generally speaking, they are *meant* to be an easy-on easy-off large container to foster the quick movement of bugs, and in my experience, I believe they are largely successful in that.

In my travels this year, I've been lucky enough to visit six states and six countries. In all of them, it was the TB Hotels that had the most visits (sometimes 2, 3, or 4 times the amount of the other nearby caches) and the bugs always moved rapidly. They are the ones the out-of-town visitors seek out first when moving bugs or when just visiting. None of the logs complained that there wasn't a spectacular view or a terrific hike - but they all came to trade bugs.

Am I missing something here? It sure seems like the TB Hotels are quite successful, the ones here in town included, depending on your goal. This thread was started by someone who wanted to know the "best" way to launch a TB, and it seems to me that if you want it to move, and give it a higher than normal chance to leave the state, than a TB Hotel is a perfect place for that. Thoughts? Thanks,

-Ken
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: