MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin GPS V
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SirPoonga
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 11:59 am    Post subject: Garmin GPS V Reply with quote

Anyone have it? I am thinking about upgrading my GPS III+ to a GPS V. Just wondering how you like it, does the address to address stuff work well, etc...

It's a nice day out, I finally got caught up on alot of stuff, I think I will head out on my motorcycle and find my first cache.
CB-GPSERS
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep...I have one....And the on the fly lock on road auto-routing is just great. Did you ever wish your unit could tell you exactly how far away you are from something, not as the crow flies, but by using actual roads. Then bring you there in real time turn by turn. The ETA and ETE are actually right. I don't think I could ever go back to a unit that didn't have it. After uploading the detailed MapSource info the search database is highly accurate.
SirPoonga
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a newer mapsource? The mapsource I have is when the GPS III+ came out. It's getting outdated.
Wayfarin Stranger
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:41 pm    Post subject: Map Source Reply with quote

You can update Map Source from Garmin's web site. I believe the latest version is 4.13.
IBcrashen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to note, the newer version of Map Source just updates the software program on your PC, not the details of the maps.
CB-GPSERS
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 11:08 pm    Post subject: MapSource City Select 4.0 to 4.01. Reply with quote

The original GPSV came with MapSource City Select 4.0 on one CD and one region unlock code. Then about 6mo ago they came out w/ the current model, the GPSV Deluxe. The only difference between the two is that the Deluxe comes w/ MapSource City Select 4.01 on two CDs which is much more detailed, and has a all region unlock code. The new maps also take up about twice the space in the GPSR unit itself. It's always give and take. One of my only complaints about the V is that it has no way to upgrade its memory capacity and that its 19Meg gets gobbled up quite fast by the newer maps.
EelSid
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one after seeing CBs and now two other people got one after seeing mine! I liked my Magellan Map 330 but there is really no comparison between the GPS V and one that does not autoroute. I never have to print out maps to find cache sites anymore, I just set my heading to the cache and it will take me there! Because it takes you to the nearest parking spot sometimes you have to find your way on your own once you get there in order to avoid walking through someones yard or jumping a fence, etc, but I have no real complaints about this GPSr.
SirPoonga
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friends just got a GPS V. Man, I really want one now. And my III+ antenna broke. sigh.
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

**Garmin GPS V Deluxe GPS System for $227 shipped** - 02/18/2005 5:28 pm

Amazon.com offers the Garmin GPS V Deluxe GPS System with MapSource
City Select mapping software for $227.25. With free shipping, it's
the lowest price we've seen for this particular system by $13. This
12-channel unit also features a 256x160 LCD, 19MB built-in memory,
WAAS capability, and both a vehicle mounting bracket and serial cable.

http://dealnews.com/newsdaily.html?article,81235
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I started with a 12XL upgraded to a 3+ then to my V.

I've had my V now for about 2 years. Love it. Only really draw back was the memory capacity for the City Select. It would barely hold enough to cover all of Mn/SP.

Mapsource only provides you the abiltiy to waypoint and route on your pc and then transfer it to the GPSr. The V has a base map preinstalled. It provides all of the major highways and most county and major city.

City Select provide the detailed maping database and routing database for the autorouting funcitons.

But alas. I had to have better so last week I upgraded to the 76C.

By the way the current version of City Select is v6. However, talking with Garmin last week they actually recommended to me that I NOT upgrade my current v5 to v6. They said wait. v6 has been out about 18 months and that a newer version is due within the 6 to 12 months. They recommended I actually save my money until then.

And yet Auto Routing Rocks.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use mapsource + "route calculation data" just fine. Granted, City Select is recommended but I don't really see any reason why it's 100% necessary.
Dances With Beehives
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up on one of these today....just read through the posts on the subject.....all good information, thanks.

A relative of mine bought a new truck and they gave him one of these. Well he hadn't touched a PC in a year and a half, so he said if I was interested I coud have it. Guess I'll offer him a couple hundred bucks.

It met all my criteria:
Garmin (to be compatable with my Mapsource software)
WAAS
Maps

Like how it sits on the dash, and lights up real good too. Beeps when I miss a turn. So far I'm impressed.
Needless to say it's a far cry better than my basic yellow etrex.
Dances With Beehives
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I delete all waypoints? Can't seem to figure it out. Thanks.
Wayfarin Stranger
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Press the find button, select waypoints, by name or nearest, whichever and then choose which one you want to delete. Then instead of Go To, highlight delete and press enter. I haven't figured out a way to mass delete them yet. I don't think you can.
Dances With Beehives
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an important feature to me, so it had me worried there.
I got the answer from 'Peter' on the groundspeak forums:

Quote:
Start by FINDing a waypoint "By Name", then when you get the list of waypoints press MENU and you should get options to "Delete by Symbol" (i.e. delete all waypoints with the same symbol as the selected one) or to "Delete All."

It does take a few more keystrokes than on my other GPS, but didn't seem onerous enough to mention.

Whew!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: