MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Somebody please find my cache (Barn Bluff. GCN9EQ)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AKjim
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Somebody please find my cache (Barn Bluff. GCN9EQ) Reply with quote

Near Red Wing. It was placed last spring '04. I think the last time I checked it only 3 cachers have signed the logbook. Most cachers have not found it and have complained enough that Geocaching.com has suggested to me to disable it. The cache is not that hard to find. It is right next to a trail. I don't understand why cachers are having trouble finding it. There is also a USGS monument nearby if you are into finding those.

It needs to get some attention, I don't want to remove it, its a great find, I guarantee it.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link to the cache page: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=b1e596f7-c3e6-4234-951b-ec56df9f16c1&log=y&decrypt=
Dances With Beehives
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the cache page:
Quote:
The terrain is not difficult at all

This differs a quite a bit from the posts on the page, and the three that signed the book were in the same group. A common occurance is that maybe the coordinates are off a bit. You mentioned that you checked on the cache, but said nothing about the coords. Thats what I would check.

I understand that it is a nice area....great to have a cache there. While you wont have large numbers of cachers seeking 4 star caches, you should have more than one smiley face on the page. Very Happy

Last edited by Dances With Beehives on Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Dances With Beehives
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the cache page
Quote:
September 20 by AKJim (24 found)
Visited on 9-17-05. Found undisturbed, coords accurate with 3 GPS's. 8' off trail on uphill side.

Sorry, didn't see that. Never mind.
AKjim
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This park is covered with walking trails and this cache is on the easiest one. Certainly it is an uphill hike to the cache but it is not at all difficult if you are in halfway decent shape, which most geocachers are, I hope. My 8 and 10 year old daughters walk to it in 'flip-flop' sandals.
Most of the caches I have found have been so easy that they arn't even a challenge. I placed this one to make it a bit of a challenge, the type of challenge I would like to seeking a cache. Work for it a bit. I'm not into driving within 500' of a cache. I want a challenge and I hope my hides are.

I have given more hints than are needed, and now a map is posted pinpointing exactly where the cache is, which is fine, except it removes the challenge.
Somebody besides me needs to find this cache and give your opinion on it. I don't want trouble with the 'higher ups' at geo.com
RubberToes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the bait and went to find this one today. It was too beautiful an afternoon to spend inside working. I've always wanted to explore Barn Bluff, and I got my money's worth.

I didn't find the cache that difficult to locate -- once I got to the cache area. That took some doing because we made the wrong choice at a trail fork and ended up climbing up and over the bluff. That was a blast, but is not necessary for finding the cache.

Once we reached the cache site -- after a wonderful tour of much of the bluff -- we were able to locate the cache within a few minutes by following the cache page's advice to stay on the high side of the trail. My receiver wanted me downhill, and looking that way would have been a bear. One could be 100 or 200 feet downhill in no time.

It was a good hide, but not so difficult that it should give people all that much trouble. The 4-star rating for difficulty and terrain may even be a little high, and it may be scaring off some potential visitors.

One problem I found with the park, though, is that many of the directional signs on the trails have been vandalized and are unreadable. This may have contributed to our taking the wrong path in the first place.

Fun cache, great afternoon. Thanks AKjim.
AKjim
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comment Rubbertoes, glad you found it. I'm also glad to hear that you found it quite easily and that the terrain rating is too high. I think so too but several have indicated otherwise. I think I'll lower it back to where it should be.

I just learned of another cache on Barn Bluff. Don't know why I didn't know of it before, It Barn Bywater. Sounds like a great cache.

I like challenging caches. I'm not interested in caches that can be found 5 minutes from a road. I'm working on a few tougher ones.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKjim wrote:
I like challenging caches. I'm not interested in caches that can be found 5 minutes from a road. I'm working on a few tougher ones.

There are plenty out there just waiting to be found -- enjoy.
RubberToes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKjim wrote:
Thanks for the comment Rubbertoes, glad you found it. I'm also glad to hear that you found it quite easily and that the terrain rating is too high. I think so too but several have indicated otherwise. I think I'll lower it back to where it should be.

I have some specific suggestions about this that I've sent you by PM.
ScubaAl
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a few weeks I might be taking a tour along the river to enjoy the colors. I have already downloaded this and other caches into gsak. I like both the easier find and the more difficult.
This past weekend I was on the North Shore, in Silver Bay I went after this cache GCQF3T. The terrian definitely lived up to the rating. Check it out if you get a chance. But I don't believe it would winter friendly, ice.

Cache On, Al
Kidatheart
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I admit it Rolling Eyes , took 4 times to find this cache. For those that look for a challenge, this is it but after finding it I agree that the difficulty rating can be lower unless it was me trying to find it because I added to the difficulty all on my own. Embarassed Keep placing caches of this quality and I will keep trying to find them, no matter how long it takes. Laughing
5savages
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: Outstanding! Reply with quote

I just found this cache yesterday. Of the 112 finds to my name, this is one of my top 3 favorites, perhaps No. 1.

I agree with you, as hikes go, this is not that difficult. It's a 384 foot gain in elevation, but if you start on the South Trail and come back on the North Trail, which is HIGHLY recommended, total distance is about 1.5 miles. I'm 20 pounds overweight and not in that great shape and I had no problems. My heart was pounding pretty good, but then I took the trail at a fast walk, it was about 80F, and the humidity must have been in the 90's, having rained all day. It took me about 1.5 hours, including searching, some wrong turns, and exploring.

If a cacher is just a statistics junkie, they should pass on this one as there are many easier and quicker caches nearby. If the cacher is interested in a quality cache, this certainly qualifies.

You done good! Don't change a thing.
AKjim
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Barn Bluff Disabled Reply with quote

I'm sorry to say that I had to disable this post. After checking on it Nov. 19, 2005 I discovered that it has been discovered and stolen by a passerby. The park will close for winter soon anyway, so I will replace it next spring.

I got lots of emails asking that it be made easier, cachers wanting to know exactly where it was located, asking for a picture of the hiding spot, and now it appears that some casual passerby found it and stole it.

Oh well, I can replace it.
ScubaAl
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easier, whats the point. I found after a short search, nothing about the way it was hide that made it unfindable(is that a word?).
I'm 56, a few Laughing pounds over weight. Made the hike with no trouble.
Maybe you will have to meet said people at the cache site next year and just hand it to them.
Cache on, Al
PS you will probably have to also bring them a pencil.
5savages
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they were all easy I'd quite geocaching.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Southern MN All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: