MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Distance a TB has traveled

View previous topic :: View next topic  
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:01 am    Post subject: Distance a TB has traveled Reply with quote

I have one Tb that was released in september of 2003 that is still being moved along. To tell the truth I didn't think this one would last that long, but it has surpassed my expectations and is still active. I am referring to my TB "Up on the housetop" (sorry but trying to make this linkable is something I don't know how to do.) It is a little keychain with a santa clause on top of a house. It has logged over 22000 miles since it's departure. It is someplace over in Austria (I think) now. I can't read german so I can't read what any of the logs say.

Does anyone else have a bug that is still going after that much time? Any fun stories to share about them?
fsu*noles
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, 22,000 miles, that's great! Alas many of my favorite TB's are now missing in action. One that I created on a whim, however, is still active (picked up yesterday!) and has 16,800 miles so far.

At the MNGCA Spring Event in 2004, I won a door prize: a lil' REI zipper pull/thermoter dealie. My kids stole it from me right away, and eventually lost it in the house. One day it reappeared, and because I was taking pictures that same day for other TB's, I made it into a bug on the spot. As with all TB's, I never really expect them to last long, but this one has consisnently moved quickly and is still active today in New Zealand.

TB: DirectionLess (TBGKMP)

On the flip side: I have two TB's that disappeared with the first newbie that grabbed them. One has 13 miles under it's belt, the other 14. Whee.

-Ken
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On the flip side: I have two TB's that disappeared with the first newbie that grabbed them. One has 13 miles under it's belt, the other 14. Whee.

My first bug I ever placed ended up with that sort of fate. Only this was didn't even get any mileage on it. I dropped it in the cache and the newbie is the one that picked it up. The user hasn't been back since that first and only cache they found.

I tried emailing them about it and still didn't get a response so I had to mark it as missing. I hate when I have to do that.

I have a coin that I never thought would last to long. I figured it would grow legs and walk away, but it is still going after nearly two years and some almost 8000 miles. Sometimes these things can surprise you.
jambro
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loneeagle_24 wrote:
Quote:

My first bug I ever placed ended up with that sort of fate. Only this was didn't even get any mileage on it. I dropped it in the cache and the newbie is the one that picked it up. The user hasn't been back since that first and only cache they found.

I tried emailing them about it and still didn't get a response so I had to mark it as missing. I hate when I have to do that.

I have a coin that I never thought would last to long. I figured it would grow legs and walk away, but it is still going after nearly two years and some almost 8000 miles. Sometimes these things can surprise you.

I had the same thing happen to the first bug I dropped. Emailed the newbie several times without a response. It was a beanie baby my son wanted to get to his grandma in CA. Why would someone want to keep an old beanie baby without tags that's been in someone else's house, who knows where? Ewwwww.....
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rabid Rabbit was my longest lasting bug--Released Feb. 2002 and travelled around most of the US and made it back to Minnesota. When it got back in state, I changed the goal for it to stay in the state so I could pick it up again, and someone promptly picked it up, took it to an event in Missouri, where it disappeared never to be seen again. My highest mileage bug is Antsy the Anteater with 17693 miles and released April 2002--it made it's initial goal of going to California so my mom can retreive it and drop it off again, and now it's on its way back to Minnesota--hopefully when this one gets back to the state, someone will actually read the bug page before they haul it off to Missouri or where-ever.
TheGilby4
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bug story is not of a long lasting one, but of a far traveling one. And it's kind of a cheater too. When I started caching way way back in April of 05, I read about a bug that had over 50,000 miles. 'How was that possible?' I thought. The owner of the bug had been using the TB as a mileage calculator to keep track of his miles traveled between the caches that he traveled to and from to get.

So, that is exactly what I did. I started a bug from the very first cache we went to, and logged it in and out of most caches ever since. Skipping the caches that are within a mile or so from the cache I found ten minutes earlier. Now, ten months later, "The Gilby Bug" (TBJZD3) has traveled over 31,000 miles going from cache to cache with us.

Wow, come to think of it, I just might have a caching problem!!! Laughing
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spare your self, don't figure out the gas used and it's cost. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: