MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

bestbuy ??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: bestbuy ?? Reply with quote

My note book comp has gone in for repair 3 times, so this is the 4th. I sent it in, they send it home with a new problem. Any way, since I bought the service plan, they will now replace it with, as they say, "some thing comparable". Has any one else had this experiance? If so, are they about to try and mess with me? I.E. same features and capacities, but crappy processor? or cheeper, tackier made, less durable brand? I realize that pricess have come down in 2 years, but why should I take less quality than I had.

If any one has had this experince, I'd like to get feed back on your experience. Thanks, Liverbird, WWPP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record : I Purchase many things from Best Buy. I ALWAYS get the service plan. Things ALWAYS seem to break on me (or I destroy them which is usually the case). I take them back, and have been very satisfied. I have taken back speakers, a stereo, my PDA, an amplifier, and the list goes on and on and on. They WILL infact replace it, or upgrade it! I think this is a great business strategy. Since my first time using the service plan, and walking away with something better then I initially bought, I have never been back to Circuit City (not that it's a bad shop, but you just can't beat a Best Buy service plan)...
Mario and Princess Peach
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased a service plan from Best Buy for my daughter's CD player. It broke. They told me to mail it in and they would mail me a coupon for a replacement. It took 12 weeks to receive the coupon.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something comparable usually ends up being something that is available now (i.e. an upgrade). They will take their sweet time with this (as kennybellew said).

Typically service plans are a joke and do nothing but pad the pockets of the employees and corporations. Employees are told that they have to push the service plans and "extras" (like unnecessary cables and accessories) and they end up getting a small percentage of that additional sale.

On a personal note, I won't step foot in a Best Buy until their practices change. This includes their extra sales, their treatment of their customers, and their merchandise.

YMMV.
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped shopping at Best Buy over a year ago too. They take for-freaking-EVER to get a merchandise return slip to you if you need to exchange a defective product. I had to call three times to find out where it was; each time, I was assured that it was "being taken care of" (right). Finally, after three months, I got the slip. This was inexcusable. I wrote corporate headquarters about it, of course I never heard back. I can only assume that they really don't care much about individual customers. That's okay, I'll stay away and patronize one of their competitors.
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eh, best buy is like most any other store to me, take em or leave em.

I did manage to buy an extended warranty for my xbox controller a couple years ago, and the stinkin thing broke tuesday, took it in yesterday, got a new controller, simple. It coulda turned out bad I suppose, depending on how jerky of a person I got to handle the return.
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
coupon for a replacement

Quote:
merchandise return slip

Quote:
something that is available now

I have never heard of any coupons, slips, or degraded "upgrades"... Confused

This,,, is all I have ever known Best Buy for :

Quote:
broke tuesday, took it in yesterday, got a new controller, simple.

(and that goes for a whole lot of merchandise doing a whole lot of breaking...)

Question Question Question
fsu*noles
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From today's Star Tribune:

Last update: June 6, 2005 at 8:21 AM

Best Buy Co. is buying
http://www.startribune.com/stories/535/5439112.html

Best Buy Co. Inc. is giving new meaning to the adage, "It's all in who you know."

In the last fiscal year, the world's largest consumer electronics retailer paid $20 million for store fixtures to a Wisconsin company owned by Robert Schulze, the younger brother of Best Buy's chairman and former CEO, Richard Schulze, according to a recent proxy statement filed by Best Buy.

The company, Phoenix Fixtures Inc. of Roberts, Wis., employs about 100 people and has just one customer: Best Buy.

Best Buy's board reviewed the transactions with Phoenix and concluded they were "at arm's length and that Phoenix provides significant advantages with respect to service and delivery," the company said in the proxy.
ArmyCrayzee
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Best Buy Reply with quote

I wish there were Fry's Electronics stores in our area. They had a BB and a Fry's in Indianapolis and I never stepped foot in the BB. Fry's stocks a huge amount of computer components and cases (ala Tran's or General Nano) for sale. I have never seen another store with the new Tyan $1500 motherboard on sale.

What could I use that for? ArcView 9, obviously.

BB is cheap and I'll have to find the closest Fry's so I can take a weekend road trip and go to Fry's.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Silient Bob, although I have to admit to stooping to buy from them now and them out of convenience. There are some complaint dept type websites (which, admittedly show only the worst) that have absolute horror stories about Best Buy. Buyer beware. Also, every consumer group that I've ever read up on says to avoid the extended warranties as a waste of money.
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased a car stereo from Best Buy a couple days ago, along with four new speakers. They offered me the service plan for 4 years, and I took it. The guy explained to me that because of the brand I had bought, if anything (anything!) happened, they would not be repaired, but replaced. I was happy to hear that. Now - I could go four years, or maybe 10 without problems of any sort. In that case, the plan would be a waste of money. With my tendancy to abuse electronics though, I have a feeling it will be worthwhile. What I've come to do now, is buy the service plan if it guaruntees replacement. If it specifies repair - forget it!

(But that's just me - I see that Best Buy is not a popular store on these forums...)
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the service plans BB sells give you a voucher for the original purchase price (to use at BB) when you return the defective product to them. I'm not sure how that applies to car electronics as I've never purchased car electronics from BB.

Remember, BB doesn't loose money on their service plans, whether it's for GPSrs, car electronics, etc. At the end of the day they are ahead of the game, otherwise they wouldn't offer it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: