MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best places to launch TB's
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HugoBear
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Best places to launch TB's Reply with quote

Any suggestions for the TC metro area? I saw there was a TB Hotel by MSP airport, but was thinking y'all might have a preferred location to launch from.
-Douglas Adams "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TB Hotels are often not the best place to launch a bug as often bugs can sit there for a period of time, getting passed over for other bugs.

I would pick a cache that is of adequate size, visited regularily, and not in any real danger of being muggled.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it really depends on your goal.

Do you want it to travel the city? state?

Do you want it to see a lot of cachers?

Do you want it to get out of the state fast?

etc.
There is no guarantees on anything you can try to do for travel bugs...but you might get lucky to place a travel bug near MOA if you want it to travel a great distance fast.
HugoBear
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 4 bugs in the 'TB Wayside Rest' near Hugo that all have different jobs. One could do his job in-state, the rest should be flying about. I only ask as the kids are wondering when their bugs will 'go flying'. I keep telling them to stuff it and get Daddy another beer, but they don't quit. Wink
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the process of writing on my TBUG pages- DO NOT PUT IN A TBUG MOTEL, or any such place where they rest in numbers until picked up- ARGH! I do not like those type of caches at all.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would rather have my bugs dropped ANYWHERE, even in a TB hotel, rather than have someone sit on them for a long time.

I find that if I don't have the time to drop a bug in the near future that I will drop it in my TB hotel because it is quick and easy to get to. This gives the bug a chance to keep moving - better than it would have in my backpack.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
HugoBear
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your backpack never moves? Wink I can barely keep up with mine. Just strap it to a 9y/o and let them go.

Is it bad form to hijack your own thread once you get the answer you want?
pto
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am in the process of writing on my TBUG pages- DO NOT PUT IN A TBUG MOTEL, or any such place where they rest in numbers until picked up- ARGH! I do not like those type of caches at all.

I did exactly that on my first TB - and it worked! (for the most part)

I believe it to be a very bad idea to have TB's visit TB hotels-
They arent a good place to move things along-

If it wasnt for the kindness of other cachers, I dont think Mine would have ever made it back to me (After 16,xxx miles)

Thanks again for the help, btw Smile

Id suggest Any other cache, and actually - Id suggest something outside the cities - more in the boonies- cachers who hit them are usually traveling (from somewhere) in order to reach the more remote caches.
fsu*noles
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er, actually I disagree - I think TB Hotels are a *good* place to launch your bug, and increases the chance of it actually leaving the State...seems like a fair number of bugs get caught in the metro and go 'round and 'round.

Minnesota may be a bit different though, if you poke around it seems like TB Hotels outside of MN are very popular - I know if I travel with large numbers of bugs, I always look for a hotel to swap and hopefully help a few bugs meet their goals as well...and I know other travelers do as well.

For example, check out the Stansted TB hotel at GC7054, near the Stansted airport in London. It has 127 visits, fairly busy for an out-of-the-way cache - but if you search the "nearest" caches, you'll see they have 25 or less visits. Same for the North of London TB Hotel at GCG7BG.

Or for an example closer to home, there's GCH24C "Love's Bug Hotel" in Las Cruces, NM. (I went there specifically to grab a TB that wants to go to Daytona Beach, FL because that's where I'm heading next month.) It too has a higher hit ratio than the nearby caches.

I know in both cases most of the nearby caches are newer, but the TB hotels seem to be the ones the business travelers seek out first, and they seem to last longer, too?

Anyway, maybe I'm biased because I travel quite a bit and I know I look for TB hotels, but it seems strange to hear that TB Hotels don't actually work - after all, isn't that why they were created in the first place, as an easy-on/easy-off way to swap bugs? Just curious, thanks-

-Ken
fsu*noles
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject: LOL Reply with quote

OK, so as I was typing my last post, I got an e-mail from a friend that's coming to town this week. Makes me feel a little better, it's not just me! Wink Wink Wink

---Snippet below---

I am staying at (edited for privacy). However, I will have a car and can meet you at anyplace convenient to you (as long as I can find it on my rental car map). Any food and any type restaurant is fine.

I am also fairly flexible on time. I hope to hit a couple of the TB hotels on Wednesday evening and swap some of the TB's I have. How many Tb's should I hold to swap with you? Where are you headed soon?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fsu*noles wrote:
It too has a higher hit ratio than the nearby caches.

It's truly a shame that people are so obsessed with finding TB hotels (and I'm going to overgeneralize here) because they just usually aren't as good as other local caches.

When I head to a new area I'm all about finding spots that no one else would have brought me to. From the numerous TB hotels I have visited only one offered an area that was of any worth (Pear Head's). The rest were just your typical hide in a typical park. The only reasons they got a lot of hits was because of the TBs.

That's my opinion and that's why I try to avoid them.
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Silent Bob- we agree with you- we cache not for the numbers or first finds, but to see places locals know off the regular tourist route- my newest cache now up for review will be a surprise to many for a manificent view, so close to a major road.
fsu*noles
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
It's truly a shame that people are so obsessed with finding TB hotels (and I'm going to overgeneralize here) because they just usually aren't as good as other local caches.

I agree, the TB hotels aren't as "good" as the local caches - but again, keep in mind, they're not *supposed* to be. They're supposed to be quick finds for people to swap TB's at, they're not supposed to be long hikes with magnificent views (altho' the view would be a bonus!) - people cache for different reasons, and if you're *seeking* a TB Hotel, it's because you have bugs to swap, not because you're looking for an adventure. The original question here was how to best launch a TB, and I was just saying TB Hotels are a fine way to do that - it's not a comment on the quality of the hides, just a mechanism to launch the bugs...

-Ken
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fsu*noles wrote:
people cache for different reasons, and if you're *seeking* a TB Hotel, it's because you have bugs to swap, not because you're looking for an adventure. The original question here was how to best launch a TB, and I was just saying TB Hotels are a fine way to do that - it's not a comment on the quality of the hides, just a mechanism to launch the bugs...

I agree w/you that everyone caches for different reasons. I'm just stating that I try to avoid them, especially in areas that I am visiting, bugs deserve to move they way they were originally intended -- randomly. Not placed into a orphanage and bartered for.

I swapped TBs in Maui at a great location that wasn't a TB orphanage. I got the best of both worlds. If people would stop visiting (and creating) TB hotels other caches would likely be filled w/TBs more often and people would get to visit other more worthwhile caches in the area.

Again, just my opinion.
HugoBear
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
(edited) I swapped TBs in Maui at a great location that wasn't a TB orphanage. I got the best of both worlds.

We need a fact finding mission to Maui to do more research. Can MnGCA pay? Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: