MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Law enforcement
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

While caching/benchmarking, I've:
Been stopped by law enforcement and in the end felt that it was a positive experience
40%
 40%  [ 66 ]
Been stopped by law enforcement and in the end felt that it was a negative experience
1%
 1%  [ 3 ]
Both
9%
 9%  [ 15 ]
I've never been questioned by law enforcement
49%
 49%  [ 81 ]
Total Votes : 165

Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Law enforcement Reply with quote

Curious on people's experiences with law enforcement. A positive experience would be where you explained what you were up to and the officer understood.

A negative experience would be where you.....got arrested or something similar.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My positive experience: I got to explain what I was doing coming out of the woods and why he shouldn't be worried about geo-wife (Mrs. Minnesota) sleeping in the car up the road.

My (sorta) negative experience: Told a cop that nope, we hadn't seen any "kids" climbing around under the highway bridge. I wasn't lying!
Rouster
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of the above.

In a recent thread I mentioned that had received a call from police that had tracked down my vehicle license#, but I've never been stopped/caught red-handed.

There was another case in Minnetonka when I saw a police car moving swiftly in the direction I just came from. The officer checked the cache and declared all-clear.

And the Team-Deadhead cache outside Buffalo PD? My friend (not an officer) was amused.

All turned out positive.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a couple of experiences, both ended with the cop understanding (albeit shaking his head once) what I was doing.

Most recently EskoClimber and I were stopped at a cache near Grand Rapids. Turns out that we had incorrectly entered the final coordinates to a multi cache. The coordinates put us in the woods which we found out as we walked in were behind a house. We turned around right away to leave but the cop was at the house and stopped us before we got to the end of the road. Very understanding (and had heard of geocaching apparently in a positive way in the past, which in this case was helpful). After a few basic questions and some apologies on our part we were on our way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
team-deadhead
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sidenote

The Buffalo PD have moved thier HQ
Wo-oh, what I want to know is, are you kind?
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had so many run ins with cops it's not even funny, but then when you do news for a living you're bound to run into them. I would venture to "guess" that if you're in the suburbs or smaller towns your chances of having a run in are much higher. If they get a call there's a good chance they have nothing else pending and will be over a lot quicker than say Minneapolis or St Paul where their plates are kind of full to start with.
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only really had one experience involving geocaching and police officers. I can't remember even where it was. I was driving somewhere that there was road construction. The sign read "Road Closed to Through Traffic". My Nephew and I figured that since our cache was stuck in the construction zone that we were not considered "through traffic". When we stopped to get out, there happened to be a police officer where we parked. He just asked what our business was. We told him we were geocachers and that we'd be in and right out again. He had no problem at all, and just advised us to stay clear of the heavy machinery that was doing the road work. It was a pleasant encounter. He explained that his brother was a cacher and had told him a little about it. We found the cache, waved as we left, and that was that.

I think that most police officers are pretty understanding once they've been supplied with an explanation. I don't have a problem really with telling them what I'm up to. I know if I was a cop and spotted a geocacher, I would probably consider it suspicios depending on the location, and ask questions as well.
jambro
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only been stopped once. I was able to explain caching, but these guys were not very friendly at all, even after the explanation. Guess I'm just too darned intimidating!
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Negative: Caching in a NWR prior to the ban and searching under one of the brigdes of 169. Dragged down the hill by my collar, put into a car, driven to the parking lot, told to get out and not come back.

Lesson learned: Don't tell them that you are minding your own business when they ask what you are doing.

2. Partially negative: Hiding the final to Blackhawk Down in Blackhawk Park in Eagan. Paved trail around the lake is frequented by walkers/joggers/dog lovers. One particular jogger feels that I have been following her and calls the cops. They are waiting for me in the parking lot along with her. Ask if I was following her. "THE PAVED PATH IS A CIRCLE, OF COURSE I WAS 'FOLLOWING' HER!"

Lesson Learned: Don't take two days off of work during super nice October weather and try to hide caches in the middle of the day. Young women might think you are following them.

3. Positive: Out night caching with 20+ people before a Get Sauced Event at Old Chicago in Eagan. Cops come (there are no less than 15 cars on the side of the road surrounding this tiny neighborhood park (cache page here). We find the cache, along with a bong, luckily we weren't caught "red handed" with that when the cop started asking questions Smile

Lesson Learned: Cache in groups of 20+ people and have a guy from Florida give the cop his ID first to really confuse him.

4. Unknown: Out with sui generis and Moe (see Moe's post above) -- "Seen any kids climbing around under this bridge?" Moe: "Nope, no kids." http://gallery.lazylightning.org/gc-20041023/100_1273

Lesson Learned: Don't cache with Moe, he's a bad influence.

5. Unknown: Get an e-mail from a cacher that there's pot growing wild near one of my caches. After the weather cools down to 80 degrees I head out there in jeans and long sleeves and check it out. Sure enough, 50+ pot plants growing. I take some photos, waypoint some of the plants, and pull the cache. I call the Parks and Rec from the cache site and they aren't in so I call the cops and tell them. Eventually, the following Monday the Parks and Rec call me at work and ask for better directions to the plants (no GPS). They told me that they burned out 5 acres of it there last summer.

http://www.lazylightning.org/?q=node/61

Lesson Learned: Don't go into that park when they are burning it w/o a gas mask or you might not be working anymore.
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
Lesson Learned: Don't cache with Moe, he's a bad influence.

Laughing ROFL Laughing Funny, I was never like this until I started hanging around Silent Bob!
jrest
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny stories!!! Thanks for the insight, and "experiences" with "the man". I will have to ask a retired (last week) county sheriff I know if he ever ran into geocachers on the job.

Looked through some of the pictures posted, I must say that caching in the fall looks pretty incredible. I started this adventure in March this year, I am looking forward to seeing the entire season changes and watching the fall colors develop.
EskoClimber
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been stopped once and cornered twice by Law Enforcement while geocaching. I've also been stopped once for speeding while geocaching.
All my experiences with Law Enforcement have been positive and helpful. The speeding incident led to an officer helping me locate the access to a cache.
If Law Enforcement ever asks you what you're doing or why, be truthful. Nothing is worse that lying to cop. You might as well wave a red tarp at a bull. On the other hand, tell an officer the truth, and they'll bend over backwards to give you a hand. That is assuming that you didn't REALLY step in something.
fireman121
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never been stop, but I have contacted the police while caching.
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relating to local Law Enforcement, caching or otherwise--there is a stepped up DWI enforcement effort currently in place in Dakota County, especially on 35, 35E, and 35W. There seems to be a larger police presence in that area than they had at the '72 Democratic National Convention. Since I get off work at 2am, and use the freeways to take my co-worker Jorge home, then use the freeways to go to my own home, I've been pulled over twice, just because I was on the road right after the bars close. The first time, it was before I dropped Jorge off, and he didn't have his seat-belt on and accidentally left his ID at home and was thus detained (even though he is a US citizen by birth, he was born and raised in Equador and speaks with an accent, and his name wasn't coming up on their computer because they kept putting it in as "George," instead of "Jorge") while they let me go without even a warning. The second time, I was also let go right away when it was obvious that I haven't been drinking (yet). So, this is just some word to the wise if you're doing anything in Dakota County that can be considered suspicious.
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

15Tango wrote:
there is a stepped up DWI enforcement effort currently in place in Dakota County, especially on 35, 35E, and 35W.

It's not just Dakota County. They have been displaying warning signs over the freeways all over the twin cities for the past two weeks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: