MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thread Closures
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Thread Closures Reply with quote

Just what are the rules regarding thread closures? Will a thread be closed at the request of any member who feels it needs closure whether or not other members may feel that meaningful discussion is still taking place?

Just curious.
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would appear to be the case. Oh well, it is easy enough to open another thread continuing the discussion.
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:
Just what are the rules regarding thread closures? Will a thread be closed at the request of any member who feels it needs closure whether or not other members may feel that meaningful discussion is still taking place?

Just curious.

My take on it would be that the organization has put someone in charge of "administrating" the forums. We're left up to that person (or person's) best judgement. If someone suggests that a thread be locked, and hopefully gives some decent reasons, then it's up to the administrator to evaluate that and act as he or she sees fit.

It would be tough to make it a group decision as some threads that 99% of us agree should be locked (say a duplicate thread) move too fast for a group to decide in a day's time.

miles58 wrote:
I would like an explanation of why the thread on the MNDNR regs was locked.

It was civil, on topic, and far from settled.

With only a day on it, you could hardly expect the members who wished to contribute to have either done so or passed.

It's probably not my place, but I'll venture a couple of guesses:

A. Most everyone seems to agree that the policy is not what we want.

B. The 'debate' that continued on there had more to do with what was wrong and why it hadn't been addressed in the past, etc, etc, then it did with fixing the problem.

C. A new 'fix it' thread was created (by me). My suggestion is that we channel our energy there.

D. It seems in cases like this that the action that was taken makes everyone step back for a second. As suggested elsewhere, one could open a new thread with the same topic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
miles58
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only was a thread locked that was in the process of thrashing out important organization business that needs to be addressed, but the thread asking for an explanation of why was deleted from the site.

In my opinion this is miscondict by a moderator and need to be explained fully.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miles58 wrote:
In my opinion this is miscondict by a moderator and need to be explained fully.

You mean this thread?

Threads are *never* "deleted".
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miles58 wrote:
Not only was a thread locked that was in the process of thrashing out important organization business that needs to be addressed, but the thread asking for an explanation of why was deleted from the site.

I think the thread you are referring to was locked because it was basically a duplicate of a thread (this one) that had been opened slightly earlier...

I was going to say this earlier but didn't as I didn't want people taking it the wrong way:

My understanding is that the board placed the moderator in place. The board can (and should) remove the moderator if they feel the conduct is inappropriate. I'm not at all saying, implying, etc, that I feel that should happen, only saying that I believe it is a board function.

My opinion, while we're on the thread locking subject, is that SB has done a good job overall. He's taken heat sometimes, and there have been times I haven't agreed with his decisions (this isn't one of them), but I respect him for the job he has done. Jobs such as this, or the one mtn-man has, will never make 100% of the people happy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
miles58
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would still like an explanation as to why that thread was locked when as is plainly evident there is much of the discussion to finish and the members are trying other ways to continue a discussion of appropriate MNGCA business in an appropriate manner.

Who locked it, and if it was locked on member request will all member requests always be honored and any thread anyone wishes locked will be locked?
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miles58 wrote:
and the members are trying other ways to continue a discussion of appropriate MNGCA business in an appropriate manner.

Dave -

Not trying to attack you or pick you apart, but it's not clear to me what you mean here. Can you rephrase and/or elaborate?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miles58 wrote:
if it was locked on member request will all member requests always be honored and any thread anyone wishes locked will be locked?

No, not all will be honored as it's still up to the moderator's discretion but any member should feel comfortable asking a moderator to lock, move, or split a thread.
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is ridiculus! Mad
miles58
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:

No, not all will be honored as it's still up to the moderator's discretion but any member should feel comfortable asking a moderator to lock, move, or split a thread.

Why was that thread locked?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miles58 wrote:

From the member that requested it:

Quote:
Can I propose that we lock the current DNR thread and start one on how to fix it?

If you think that's a decent idea (to help get us on track)

I felt that the member had a valid point and that the DNR discussion deserved a fresh start.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miles58 wrote:

I asked for it (the thread being locked that is), so I may as well explain it.

My thought was that the discussion was getting us nowhere. We were picking the current policy apart, but not making progress on where to go from here.

I felt that the best way to MAKE progress was to close down the thread that WASN'T making progress and start one that may.

It wasn't to close down anyone's ideas about how to get us out of the situation. It WAS to stop the bickering that was starting on the current situation.

Our moderator apparently agreed with my idea. That's how the thread got locked and my reasoning behind it.

Some may say that it's not my place to lock the thread (save your breath) - I didn't lock it, only made a suggestion to the person in charge of the forums. Anyone can fire off a PM or email to the administrator.
miles58
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:

From the member that requested it:

Quote:
Can I propose that we lock the current DNR thread and start one on how to fix it?

If you think that's a decent idea (to help get us on track)

I felt that the member had a valid point and that the DNR discussion deserved a fresh start.

My point is that unless we understand what the DNR did to us, how they did it and why they did it, there is no point in starting any action or plan to create any new proposal because we are walking into the same contest without understanding the rules again. That will buy us nothing and take a long time to get it. Precisely what we got this time around

I do not think that discussion was anywhere near complete nor had served it's purpose. I believe we need to unlock it and finish the discussion for the good of the organization. You have Pear Head trying to draft new regs, eagleyes taking a poll, moe asking about the thread closure and me running out of patience.

Be a mensch unlock the thread and let the discussion finish. I am a big kid and take no offense at explaining why I have a strongly held belief nor what formed the rationale for me developing those beliefs.

Dave
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like we've strayed off from this topic as well...

Not saying that there should or shouldn't be a thread concerning a response other than mine to the DNR, just saying that "Thread closures" isn't the right one...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Website All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: