MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BC/AD discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagleyes wrote:
I'm sitting at 399 - maybe that should be a brag, as it is the end of a number and 400 starts a new segment - or is it like our "turning of the century" is the end 399 or 400? Hmmmm?

Well if we want to be truely correct do not forget about the missing 33 years. There was 1BC and 1 AD, but no 0BC or AD. Then of course he lived for 33 years which means there was a span of 33 years between 1BC and 1 AD.

So does that really make this 2038 or 1972??????? Laughing
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However, based on a lunar eclipse that Josephus reports shortly before the death of Herod the Great, the birth of Christ would have been some time before the year 4 BC/BCE, probably 5 or 6 BC/BCE. This estimate itself relies on the historicity of the New Testament story involving Herod around the time of Jesus' birth.

Having fewer sources and being even further removed in time from the authors of the New Testament, details surrounding Jesus' birth are regarded, even by many believers, as less likely to be historical fact.

As for Jesus' death, the exact date is also unclear. The Gospel of John depicts the crucifixion just before the Passover festival on Friday 14 Nisan, called the Quartodeciman, whereas the synoptic gospels describe the last supper, immediately before Jesus' arrest, as the Passover meal on Friday 15 Nisan. Further, the Jews followed a lunisolar calendar with phases of the moon as dates, complicating calculations of any exact date in a solar calendar. According to John P. Meier's A Marginal Jew, allowing for the time of the procuratorship of Pontius Pilate and the dates of the Passover in those years, his death can be placed most probably on April 7, 30 or April 3, 33 or March 30, 36.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_Christ
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I have always said- the forum is like listening in on an old type party line on the phone(do they still have those?)_ you can always pick up and listen in and learn something interesting!
BB&D
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AD actually stands for Anno Domine(sp?, I don't know latin), which translates to something like -of the lord-, so the 33 years or so of his life are included in all AD years. I can brag about knowing that can't I?
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer "Common Era" myself.

Or even gōngyuán works... Cool
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so which calendar system are we using again? Gregorian, or julian? Did I even get the names right?
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.hermetic.ch/cal_stud/cal_art.html A quick Google search yeilded this, which tells all you want to know and then some about the calendar we currently use.
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC0GRN wrote:
so which calendar system are we using again? Gregorian, or julian? Did I even get the names right?

Calendars are for organized folks! Laughing

I'd rather play life as spontaneous as possible... Cool
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaywc7 wrote:
KC0GRN wrote:

Calendars are for organized folks! Laughing

I'd rather play life as spontaneous as possible... Cool

And for logging the dates you find all of those caches Laughing Laughing Laughing
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcticabn wrote:
And for logging the dates you find all of those caches Laughing Laughing Laughing

Are you kidding? that's the most important part about the calendar Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Non Geocaching All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: