MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good local restaurants
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mario and Princess Peach
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Good local restaurants Reply with quote

I'm starting a new thread so it will be on topic.

I called El Loro just now to see if I needed a reservation. The girl said "hang on" - She spoke in spanish, then hollered in spanish. Then, a man got on the phone, and I asked him - "What time?" he asked. I said, "7:00 PM" - "How many" he asked. "Two" I said. "We got chu down for 7:00. Come on in." he said. I grinned, thanked him, and hung up (realizing I never gave him my name).

I should have had Princess Peach call. She's fluent in Spanish (She grew up in Spain). So, we'll be there tonight at 7:00 PM.

Any other good restaurant recommendations? I love finding new places like this.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I think you were trying to be funny, I just wanted to say I've never needed reservations for El Loro.

Other great local places that I like are:

Longfellow Grill, see here for pictures/commentary from my visit w/Marsha and s4xton.

I just had dinner w/Marsha and drat19 last night at Kramarczuk's in NE Mpls. Definitely a great place to check out. Quick service (cafeteria style) and great food!

Hogan Brothers' Hot Hoagies in Northfield. Great food, great ice cream, and some really good beer on tap. The prices are quite reasonable and the town itself is great for exploring.

Kieran's Irish Pub in Minneapolis is full of great beer, perfect Guinness pours, and some absolutely incredible walleye sandwiches! See here for my writeup about it after a visit with s4xton and Marsha last week.

The geodining website has promise but has few listings for Minnesota. Please note that El Aztec (actually El Azteca) is not as good as El Loro IMHO and should be avoided if you have the option of one or the other.

Marsha likes Roadfood for some ideas on where to go.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should also add Ole Piper Inn located in Lakeville off of Cedar. I really recommend the sour cream burger and the Dagwood. We regularly eat-in and order for delivery.
Mario and Princess Peach
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I started to post and ask if I needed reservations, but I thought I might as well call.

Those look like good recommendations. I'm getting burned out on the same old Chinese food. Although, the Kung Pow Shrimp at PF Changs there at Southdale is worth a second look. Might need a reservation.

I also really like Pepitos on Chicago for Texmex. They also have outdoor dinning. We sometiems ride our bike there.
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Pizza, spaghetti, or sandwiches, I have always enjoyed Piccallos in Eagan. Mickey's in St. Paul is good if you like greasy diner food (I do!). I will also agree that Ole' Piper is pretty good too.

Good luck at El Loro. The platters are your best deal. I highly recommend getting something with the refried beans. They are great when scooped up with the chips they will give you. Also, save room for dessert, the fried ice cream is great!

If you are going to the restaraunt right by 13 and cliff in Burnsville, your wife will probably be able to order in Spanish if she so chooses, and I have noticedthat the staff seems to enjoy running into customers who speak spanish. Very friendly people there!
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
Mario and Princess Peach
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know. We went to Cancun last summer, and when she would speak spanish to the staff, they really warmed up to us. They usually think I also speak spanish, but I speak just enough to know when to nod my head and smile.
RubberToes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to hear some of you casting votes for Ole Piper. I thought it looked interesting and took my three girls there. I had a good meal, but according to the others, I couldn't have made a worse choice. I'll have to stop by there again when I'm out on my own.
Mario and Princess Peach
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and Silent Bob, I've been to Kramarczuk's. I also had the stuffed cabbage. I love sour kraut too. It was nice to experience some flavors that are not so common, but really good. A buddy took me there for lunch a few weeks back.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RubberToes wrote:
I'm glad to hear some of you casting votes for Ole Piper. I thought it looked interesting and took my three girls there. I had a good meal, but according to the others, I couldn't have made a worse choice. I'll have to stop by there again when I'm out on my own.

As strange as this may be, you are better off eating on the bar side. The tables, chairs, and food just seems cleaner over there. The food tastes the same but it just seems like a completely different place over there.

If you are ever looking for someone to go w/drop Marsha and I a line, we are always up for it.

Also check out the new Carbone's on the corner of Cedar and [img]http://www.geocaching.com/images/WptTypes/2.gif[/img]-46. It's a much more upscale location than their others and the food is incredible. I personally love their Baked Penne Pasta...
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kramarczuk's Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Can hardly wait to get down there when we return in November- their sample plate with a side order of red cabbage- delish!!!!!
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaking of italian, there's a place up in white bear in a strip mall on county e and hwy 120, called donatellis, excellent pizza ans pasta dishes there, generous portions, and decent prices.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right across from El Loro in Burnsville (Cliff Rd and 13) there's a little Italian place called Stefano's.

The prices are above average but the food and service are fantastic.

Get the tiramisu Wink
Mario and Princess Peach
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dinner was fantastic at El Loro last night! Many thanks for the recommendation. We will certainly be returning there.

Here's a pic I took with my phone of the outside. It looks a lot better inside. [Click to enlarge]

One thing I've found with my particular GPS. When I select a restaurant from its database, and tell it to route to it, it is often slightly wrong in getting me there. Last night, it told me I was arriving at my destination on the left, when it was actually on the right. That never happens when I enter the address manually.

We had combo platters as recommended, and - as I would have guessed, Princess Peach was an instant hit with the wait staff. It turns out that my wife's mother lived in a small Mexican town where our waiter’s mother grew up. The guy talked my wife's ear off, but she didn't mind. The waiter tried to bring me into the conversation by telling me I had big muscles, which was a little awkward, but it was in the spirit of fun and friendliness.

Here's a shot of Princess Peach from my phone. We had an outdoor table.

I took note on the way out that Thursday nights between 6 and 8 they have Mariachi music. That would be a fun time to return.

15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to check out El Loro one of these days. As for Ole Piper--once a month, my employer feeds us, and it used to just be Ole Piper pizza until we got tired or pizza month after month and revolted and threatened a mutiny. I like it because they're the only place that can deliver food other than pizza to where I work. As for other good places to eat--my wife and I love Tanpopo in Saint Paul--they have Japanese noodle soup that is a lot better than anything you'll get at Noodles and Co. And with all our visits to the hospital when she had her kidney stone, I've grown fond of Cosetta's, which is a short walk from United Hospital.

Tanpopo link
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
Get the tiramisu Wink

Best recommendation I've heard yet!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Non Geocaching All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: