MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TIME MANAGEMENT?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RINO SHAWN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: TIME MANAGEMENT? Reply with quote

I was wondering how so many of you find/make the time for geocaching during this time of the year.....it seems there is soooo much going on.

I can see some of my geocaching flaws by observing others....for example:
I lack the organization it takes to plan a "power run" like so many of you do...so I end up wasting alot of my limited free time chasing around too many miles for too few caches.

Other than that.....Do any of you have any secrets for making the time to cache? I know that I can't be the only one that works tons of hours Wink
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serious planning isn't really even necessary. A simple look at all your unfounds in an area and finding a group with 30+ in a ~7mi radius should suffice to keep you busy for a morning.

If you are looking to do more than 25 in a day a route plan is likely necessary to eliminate endless circles following the autorouting or arrow. It's also good to use Watcher or GSAK for a quick idea of the last few finders' experiences. If you are trying to find 25+, 6 DNFs in a row isn't the way to start the day. Avoiding caches that were DNFd three times in a row before you is a good idea (Minnesota is obviously not affected by this). Also use the same software to eliminate difficult micros and high terrain as it's easier using software rather than eliminating them in the queries due to over/underrated difficulties on the cache pages.

Start your cache run before dawn. Arcticabn and I usually leave around 4:30am. Moe and I have left for day trips outside the metro as early as 3:30am. You avoid traffic and people in the cache areas and it helps to maximize your daylight. Personally, Marsha likes to sleep in and I don't. If I can get 10+ finds in before 11am and before she wakes up, I still have the rest of the day to do stuff w/her. I also find it easier to cache pre-lunch. We will usually bang out 20+ by noon and seriously slow down afterwards. Don't have any scientific evidence to support that but that's how it feels.

Cache in groups with friends. Not only are the finds easier with more eyes but the caching is more fun even during DNFs.

Bring snacks and water along and have them prepared before you leave. 15 minutes saved in the morning could be another 1.5 caches added to the average per hour.

Hope that helps!

Edit: I cleaned up what I wrote while at lunch.
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am working more hours than ever these days, so I am usually dead-dog tired by the time I get home in the evening. So, I go out caching when I can; that usually means I may have an hour, maybe two at the most, during any given week to devote to caching.

Sometimes I may have a few hours on a Saturday or Sunday to go out, if my son is otherwise occupied (he is 16 and has too many other activities going on).

I generally try to fit in a bit more time each week if there are new hides within a 10-15 mile radius of my place. Any further than that, and I usually run into problems juggling driving time and my son's schedule. It's hard for single parents to find get-away time for just themselves. Ack.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was wondering how so many of you find/make the time for geocaching during this time of the year.....it seems there is soooo much going on.

When your working about 90 hours/ week you don't get a whole lot of time to go geocaching. I took advantage of the 4th of july and made a trip into Eastern SD. I found all 13 caches that I had on my list to find. This was all by about 1p.m. I left home about 6:30 that morning.

I also visited the Terry Redlin art center in Watertown, SD. If you've never been there it is very, very nice. There is no admission, and there are 3 floors in the buiding with his paintings from the late 70's through the present time.

Most caches in my area I've already found. I normally have to go 60+ miles just to get to any caches that I haven't found yet. I normally try to make a day out of getting around 20 caches when I go. I only had 13 planned for the 4th because I was stopping at the art center to see all of the original apintings of his from the past 30 years or so.
dmnrec
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to keep rubbing it in, but I get paid to geocache..spent four hours today with kids in Fond-du-Lac on a trail..I have 5 other rec centers to run with lots of "issues" to deal with at times, so luckily the trails in FDL don't have cell phone reception..sweeeeet! I also do practice on the weekend..tho' by my stats you might find it hard to believe.
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmnrec wrote:
I hate to keep rubbing it in, but I get paid to geocache.

That's so not fair....
jrest
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmnrec, I think you have scored a really cool gig, getting paid to cache.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silent Bob covered most of what I would have said..

If I plan on heading out for a full day I will usually make up a route before I go. I usually eliminate caches that are way out of the way from the desired route.

I don't normally filter out harder micros and such. I will filter out the caches that have been DNFed a lot recently unless I think I can find it for some reason. I will also filter out large multis (like 10-step multis) sometimes, depending on my mission for the trip. Some of my cache trips I desire to eliminate every cache along the route so I don't have to go back for a while in that direction. Other trips I just desire to get out and find caches.

In the past I've cached primarily with paper sheets - I'm still learning how to best use the Palm to help me cache..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm absolutely unorganized when I cache. I used Streets & Trips once to try and organize a "Best Plan of Action", but got bored with it. I'm such a spontaneous person, that I have more fun without an itinerary. Plus, I could care less if I find caches or not. I just like spending time with friends, getting outside, and playing with my GPS. Finding the cache is just a bonus. Very Happy I'd rather waste lots of time, going the wrong way, hiking through terrain I could have avioded, and still not find the cache, then orchastrating some thoughtful operation. But that's just me... Wink
RINO SHAWN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really focus on how many finds I can get..... that's not what's most important to me.....But I am very impressed by those who do...Arcticabn just recently "power cached" a bunch of them kinda in my neck of the woods.....I know he had to spend some time to "plan his attack" ...He had a very successful day. I would assume that to stay on track..he must have set "guidelines" for himself to minimise wasted time..(like setting a time limit before calling it a DNF and moving on)

Anyways, all I am saying is that I don't think I have the patience to folllow a plan to that extent and I am jealous of those of you who have the combination of determination, passion (Addiction) for geocaching, and organization skills.....and oh yeah....being good at finding caches is a big plus also Laughing
Matilda444
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Time Management Reply with quote

I try to incorporate GeoCaching into my normal exercise routine. I'm currently biking every Sunday - adding two miles each week. There are several GeoCaches along this route and it makes a great break from the bike. I'm not sure what I'll do when I've exhausted every Cache within a 30 mile radius - but I won't have to worry about that this season anyway!

When I travel I make a point of locating a few GeoCaches in the area. We often do this just before dinner and eat at resturant near the last GeoCache. We've found some great places we wouldn't have otherwise found.

When visiting friends, I'll check for a GeoCache in their area. It's a great way to get everyone out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Non Geocaching All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: