MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's the worst pain you've ever felt?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
miles58
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broke a number of bones. Chopped the ends off a couple fingers. Got a piece of steel in an eye and had it dug out by with a hypodermic needle and no anesthetic. Took a shot in the calf that swelled the leg up so that my pants had to be cut off and it took six months before I could walk normally, and a couple years before the lemon sized knot of scar tissue went away. But the worst was ripping muscles in my back and then after partial healing having them go into spasm. All I could do was stand there with tears streaming down my face. Couldn't move. Couldn't call for help. Couldn't put down the garden fork. Couldn't get down to my knees or anything.
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I dont know. Like my Dad always said: "Pain is Relative"

Yeah pto, I totally agree with this. Sometimes, I feel pain, but others I don't. It depends on my mindset. If I'm really focused on something, pain, or other stimulations around me are naturally supressed... Sorta neat! I know some people can actually control this; wish I could...
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Pain is Relatives"... I agree totally. It was torturous being around my former in-laws for any length of time.

Oh, you meant something else. My bad. Smile
DJTRACKERS
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: pain Reply with quote

Bone marrow biopsy. Dr. thought I had lymphoma, so in to the hips they went. All the demerol did was make it so I couldn't move. They use one needle to bore into the pelvis and another to suck out the marrow. Worse part was knowing after they did the one hip, they were going in to the other one. No way after that could I be a marrow donor. On top of it all, they never did find out what was wrong.
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can't stand my relatives... want nothing to do with them... whatsoever...

agreed... it is painful
whatsagps
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a fun topic...I have to admit I have put a claw hammer in my shin a few times like kennybellew did, probably not as bad though, and I had back spazms like miles58 did after popping my shoulder out and ripping a bunch of stuff in my back when a pallet of 60lb bags of peat moss dumped on me while I was working at a Home Improvment store after HS.

My best pain memoery was the time I noticed a color that should not be in urine. By the time I made it to the doctor the next day, all I could think to say was help!!! The pain in my side was knee buckling. After xrays we found out that I had some nice large kidney stones...the one on the right side was so big that it was more or less blocking my right kidney from putting anything out. The left I was LUCKY enough to pass on it's own. And from that I thank god everyday that women give birth and not men.

The best part was after they performed a procedure on me to more or less explode the big stone into dust, they had to install a stint in the tube that it was stuck in(I can't remember the medical name for those things and really don't want to remember) so it wouldn't swell shut. So the day came to go to the urologist to..what I thought was going to be a discussion about when I would be put under to get it out...heck they knocked me out to put it in. Well.....when they showed me what they planned to get it out with right there and then in the office....I was less than pleased. Anyway as I laid there while they inserted this scope with a grabber to grab the stint when they got to it trying to breath thru the pain. That's when the doctor said something like..ok just breathe.this is the worst part..oh goodie...that's the closest I have ever come to passing out from pain. Then they told me I couldn't leave until I tinkled. Needless to say, 3 hours later I was still white as a ghost, and from that point on I really don't complain too much if I stub my toe. Laughing
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was 14, my sister, the neighbor kid and I were on his roof throwing water balloons at cars, and when we tired of that, I was the last one off the roof--the neighbor kid thought it would be funny to take away the ladder and strand me up there, but since he was slow in the head, I was already on the ladder when he got that brilliant flash of inspiration, so I ended up falling two stories and luckily all I broke was my wrist. It gets better after that--in order to set my wrist, they had to stick a needle the size of the Lowry Tunnel in my armpit to deaden it--my dad passed out when they were just describing it, and wasn't around to see the actual procedure.

Anyhow, my wife has me trumped--she's waiting to pass a kidney stone herself--she first started feeling discomfort two weeks ago, and we went to the ER the following Sunday when she was in full blown pain--so far, we've had three visits to the ER and one visit Aspen Clinic--as an added bonus, the Percocet she was taking was making her head feel weird and making her vomit (luckily, they finally put her on some different meds). All the docs she's seen in the past two weeks basically say the same thing--they like to let you suffer in agony for a while and drink lots of water before they do something intrusive, and after reading whatsagps's post, I'm hoping she passes it on her own (hopefully in time to catch Deep Purple at The Taste on Friday).
Mario and Princess Peach
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. We're some banged up folks - hehe. Great stories, even if some were painful to read.
whatsagps
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can sympethize with 15Tango's wife, however, I think I remember hearing it's even more painful for women to pass them. Lucky gals. Just dont' tell her that. Wink
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only thing I can add to this is that when I rolled my car (An '83 caprice classic - big boat of a car that it is), back in '93, end over end I ended up walking a mile before someone finally drove by. But by that time I was already just about to the door of a house with lights on. I ended up with a broken nose (knocked the rearview mirror off the windshield with it), a sore back and a totaled car. Thank god for seatbelts or I probably would have been thrown out and the car would have landed on top of me. Was supposed to go to to louisana for PLDC for guards the next morning. Needless to say I didn't make that trip. I wasn't allowed to drive for a week afterwards either.
Dances With Beehives
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just noticed this thread.......whew! Confused Makes me feel a whole lot better about the pinched nerve thats been been giving me trouble for 4 weeks. I consider myself lucky, after reading some of these.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Non Geocaching All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: