MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's the worst pain you've ever felt?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mario and Princess Peach
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:41 am    Post subject: What's the worst pain you've ever felt? Reply with quote

This weekend, I was breaking apart a 300 lb cement sink in my basement with a pretty large claw hammer. I know, there are better tools for the job, but it was a moment of inspiration. In order to remove this huge dual-tub cement sink and dolly it up a flight of stairs, I was going to have to break the thing into about 8 pieces.

I put on eye protection and just started pounding it. When I was about 3/4ths done with smashing this thing to smithereens, I swung the claw hammer, missed the sink and hit myself squarely in the shin. I tried to scream, but nothing would come out. It hurt so badly that I was frozen for about 2 minutes just holding my shin. Later, it puffed up in a knot the size of a tennis ball. I'm lucky it didn't break my leg.

I'm doing better today, but, I'm trying to remember anything in my life that hurt more than that (and I've made many trips to the emergency room), and that's got to rank up at the top.

So, what's the most pain you've ever felt?
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally I pass out...so I don't know...

..I'm a klutz
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a toss up between the sore throat I had when I was the lucky recipient of Mono in high school and the pain of having four impacted wisdom teeth removed at once.
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathrich says childbirth with no epidural.
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attempted root canal on a living tooth.
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a field medic try to set a compound fracture of my leg without any pain meds. Crying or Very sad Yep I yelled, screamed, and cryed like a baby.
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One time I had this really bad hangnail. It almost even started to bleed.
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine would be catching a paintball in the sack... Shocked It wasn't pretty. I was totally immobilized for about 10 minutes. I couldn't even walk off the field. When my buddy asked what had happened, I just gave him the rest of my ammo, and asked him to go away. Oh - I never want to feel that pain again. I haven't played paintball since. If I do again, I'll be wearing a cup. Hope I'm not shootin' blanks; I'd like kids...
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my dog was but a pup, I tried taking him on a run... he on his leash, me on my bicycle. It was working great, and we were getting up some pretty good speed, when he suddenly decided he HAD to stop and take a poop. Of course, being attached by a tight leash, I came to a sudden stop as well. Broken ribs don't feel too good.
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 15 years ago, I had to have my tear ducts opened in my eye doctor's office. I don't know if you even wanna hear about how they do that... let's just say it involves a long needle, and no anesthetic (other than eye drops, which only dull the very surface of your eyeball so you don't blink so much).

That was the worst thing I ever felt... yes, even worse than childbirth.
BB&D
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran a 5K race on a golf course with a sore leg, later found out it was a stress fracture. But ran my PB for the year, and 3 days later, played hockey on that leg. Had to have someone carry my bag in and out of the rink because I was on crutches, stopped a penalty shot that game. You have to do what you have to do when you're the only goalie.

A few years before that, at a hockey camp, stopped about a 85 MPH slapshot with my cup, which shattered, and goalie cups are not small. I took to wearing 2 after I saw blood coming from places it shouldn't.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not normally squeamish but man... this thread is something else...
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SB,
Sorry, I guess I shouldn't have posted about my hangnail.
pto
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always had a very high tolerance for pain, so this will take some thinking.

When I broke my leg when I was 5, I walked (well, hobbled) over 30 ft to the neighbors door to tell her I was hurt, which resulted in her passing out, due to the bone sticking out of my leg. Hehehe, she fell. . . .(I was 5 Smile Well, she fell on ME, giving me a black eye, and a bruised rib.
I spent alot of time in the hospital after that, getting my leg, knee, etc fixed. Several Surgeries when you are 5 can give you a different exposure to the thing called pain. I had over 300 stitches in me before 1976 ....... and then -

I broke my collar bone at 7, and didnt tell my mom for about a week. She didnt like me playing hockey anyway, so I didnt want to screw it up. Bad idea. Broke nose 2 times before and in Jr High. Broke my arm crashing a 3 wheeler when I was 14. Had to walk a mile home afterwards, then go to a WI hospital on Memorial day.........
Collar bone again (and again) Nose another 2 times, stiches galore -
concusions, Ive broken 2 different fingers, 1 Toe... Lost parts of 2 front teeth from a hockey stick, and so on.

I dont know. Like my Dad always said: "Pain is Relative"
I'll have to think on this, and see if I can muster up something.

Reading the above posts hurt me more than anything in recent memory tho !!
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spinowner wrote:
SB,
Sorry, I guess I shouldn't have posted about my hangnail.

Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Non Geocaching All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: