MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Caches banned on ALL DNR lands??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
An odd side note: WPA caches are being approved in Wisconsin, and evidently, surviving.

An odd side note: caches in State Parks are being approved in Wisconsin, and evidently, surviving.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that might be because Wisconsin is a geocache-friendly state?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
that might be because Wisconsin is a geocache-friendly state?

IIRC the USFWS controls the WPAs. Because of that (and the USFWS' current stance on geocaching), I would have to believe that they are banned in WPAs regardless of the state or the individual overseeing the area.

Perhaps the Wisconsin Approvers aren't aware of it or aren't being notified that the caches are in WPAs. Perhaps the people that oversee the various WPAs in Wisconsin aren't aware that people are putting geocaches out there.

There are a lot of questions we will never know the answer to.
pto
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they had better luck?
Although not a WPA, it is the WNDR:

http://www.wi-geocaching.com/forums/Forum9/HTML/000029.html
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted on 03-25-2006 04:31 PM by Voigt54601: WI-geocaching.com forums
I have placed a cache in an experimental forest that is state land. I did a quick google search for the forest, and quickly found the DNR page with contact info. A simple email to the director of that forest, and he mailed me a permit to sign. It basically tells them where it is, coords, and your contact info. Within that permit, they do state I have to move the cache once every 12 months to comply, to avoid beaten paths. ........ To my amazment, the permit was free!:
here is the page that outlines the land:

http://www.ncrs.fs.fed.us/EF/coulee/
Quote:
The Coulee Experimental Forest , located in west central LaCrosse County, Wisconsin, was formally dedicated in 1960. The forest is owned and administered by the State of Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources.
TimbreWlf
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Please note that this particular rule applies to any and all geocaches placed in state forests, parks, wayside rests (which are by definition state parks, so we're already in violation there), WMA, SNA, etc ad nausea. I would estimate that a pretty good percentage of our almost 4000+ geocaches in the state are not in compliance. Of my 6 caches, 3 are on state land of some kind.

You must be prepared to discuss this issue at some point. They may assert that they have not impeded geocaching on these other lands, and could threaten to enforce the same rules statewide. Or, you can assert that they have allowed this activity in these areas, covered by the same rule, without significant incident for years.

I'll try to find the statute, but when I made this reference on the DNR Discussion thread (Here) I discovered that the same protection offered "State Parks" applies to all of these areas as well. Since they haven't given us any feedback on WMA and Wayside Rests, it wasn't further discussed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: